Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is an autoimmune disease that can affect different organ systems of the body and manifest in a wide range of clinical symptoms, from general fatigue to serious renal and CNS manifestations. Most drugs used to treat SLE are older, generically available, and off-label. To date, GlaxoSmithKline’s Benlysta—viewed by many physicians as only modestly effective—is the only drug approved for moderate to severe SLE (excluding severe active renal and severe active CNS manifestations). Thus, unmet need remains high in the moderate to severe subpopulation, leaving significant commercial opportunity for novel SLE therapies offering a better efficacy profile than that of Benlysta.
- What are the treatment drivers and goals in moderate to severe SLE (excluding severe active renal and severe active CNS manifestations)?
- What drug attributes are key influencers, which have limited impact, and which are hidden opportunities?
- How do current therapies perform on key treatment drivers and goals for moderate to severe SLE (excluding severe active renal and severe active CNS manifestations)?
- What are the prevailing areas of unmet need and opportunity in the treatment of moderate to severe SLE (excluding severe active renal and severe active CNS manifestations)?
- What trade-offs across different clinical attributes and price are acceptable to rheumatologists for a hypothetical new drug for moderate to severe SLE (excluding severe active renal and severe active CNS manifestations)?
Unmet Need supports clinical development decisions by identifying key attributes and assessing areas of unmet need for a specific disease or subpopulation. Based on surveys with U.S. and European physicians, this report provides insight into key treatment drivers and goals, the performance of current therapies, and the remaining commercial opportunities. One market scenario is profiled in detail by DRG experts, and additional customized market scenarios can be evaluated with the corresponding TPP simulator.
Markets covered: United States, United Kingdom, France, Germany
Primary research: Survey of 61 U.S. and 30 European rheumatologists fielded in December 2019
Key companies: GlaxoSmithKline, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Roche, AstraZeneca, Janssen, Eli Lilly
Key drugs: Benlysta, Rituxan / MabThera, CellCept, hydroxychloroquine, methotrexate, azathioprine
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus - Unmet Need - Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Moderate To Severe Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
Author(s): Ajay Puri, MBA
Ajay Puri is an Associate Analyst in the Immune and Inflammatory team at Decision Resources Group and works on indications like Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn’s disease, and Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.
He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy and has earned his MBA (Pharmaceutical) in marketing from NIPER, Mohali. Prior to joining DRG, Ajay worked as a Knowledge Management Associate (Oncology Vertical) at ZS Associates and worked on strategic projects such as competitive assessment, company and product profiling, conference coverage for clients, client specific newsletters and other business development initiatives.