Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition characterized by pain and tenderness. The primary goal of treatment is to reduce pain, and there are multiple well-established treatment options available, many of which are generic. Even though the majority of the diagnosed fibromyalgia population receives prescription drug treatment, most current therapies suffer from shortcomings in efficacy. The substantial percentage of patients with inadequate pain relief, the need for improved treatment of the secondary symptoms of fibromyalgia (e.g., anxiety, major depressive disorder, fatigue), and other areas with large unmet need (e.g., drugs that restore neuronal function)together pose ample commercial opportunity for new drugs that improve fibromyalgia treatment.
- What are surveyed rheumatologists’ opinions of the relative performance of select therapies, including Savella/Ixel/Milnaneurax (Allergan/Pierre Fabre/Neuraxpharm), Cymbalta/Xeristar (Eli Lilly/Boehringer Ingelheim), and Lyrica (Pfizer), on key efficacy, safety/tolerability, and convenience of administration attributes?
- What are the top areas of unmet need and opportunity in fibromyalgia?
- Based on the responses of surveyed physicians, what level of unmet need exists for key drug performance attributes?
- What trade-offs in drug price and drug performance across key drug attributes are surveyed rheumatologists willing to make?
Markets covered: United States, United Kingdom, France, Germany.
Primary research: Survey of 60 U.S. and 30 European rheumatologists fielded in January 2019.
Key companies: Allergan, Boehringer Ingelheim, Eli Lilly, Grünenthal, Janssen, Neuraxpharm, Pfizer, Pierre Fabre.
Key drugs: Duloxetine (Cymbalta/Xeristar, generics), gabapentin (Neurontin, generics), pregabalin (Lyrica, generics), milnacipran (Savella/Ixel, generics), tramadol (Ultram/Topalgic/Contramal/Tramal/Tramacet/Zydol, other brands, generics), amitriptyline, and cyclobenzaprine.
Unmet Need supports clinical development decisions by identifying key attributes and assessing areas of unmet need for a specific disease or subpopulation. Based on surveys with U.S. and European physicians, this report provides insight into key treatment drivers and goals, the performance of current therapies, and the remaining commercial opportunities. Two market scenarios are profiled in detail by DRG experts, and additional customized market scenarios can be evaluated with the corresponding TPP simulator.
- Chronic Pain - Unmet Need - Detailed, Expanded Analysis | Fibromyalgia (US/EU)
Author(s): Audreza Das, P.G. Dip.
Audreza Das is a Senior Analyst in the CNS/Ophthalmology team at Decision Resources Group
She has authored content across indications, including neuropathic pain, age-related macular degeneration, treatment-related depression, painful diabetic neuropathy, and migraine. Ms. Das has previously worked at Novo Nordisk, as a Market Analyst for European markets. Previous experience at a SME, included developing disease competitive landscapes, covering global conferences etc. Ms. Das received her B.E. degree in Biotechnology from Birla Institute of Technology, a deemed university and her P.G. Diploma in Cancer Immunology & Biotechnology from University of Nottingham.