The primary goal of glaucoma treatment is to reduce and control intraocular pressure. In the United States, the treatment armamentarium for open-angle glaucoma (OAG) has expanded in recent years with the launch of novel topical drugs (e.g., Aerie Pharmaceuticals’ Rhopressa and Rocklatan, Bausch + Lomb’s Vyzulta). Although topical eye drops are the central pillar of OAG treatment, innovative approaches such as sustained-release formulations of some key OAG drugs (e.g., AbbVie’s Durysta) and developments in the field of devices for minimally invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS) offer promising nontopical treatment options for ophthalmologists and glaucoma specialists treating OAG patients.
- What factors most influence physicians’ choice of a drug in the prostaglandin analogue and fixed-dose combination drug classes in OAG?
- What are the key drivers and constraints for physicians in prescribing the newer-to-market drugs Rhopressa, Rocklatan, Vyzulta, and Xelpros in OAG?
- What has been the impact of COVID-19 on physician prescribing in OAG?
- How will sustained-release implants (i.e., Durysta, Glaukos's iDose TR) and novel topical drugs (i.e., Santen's DE-117 and Nicox's NCX 470) fit into physicians' treatment practice for OAG? What factors would persuade physicians to prescribe these drugs more in OAG?
- How will the use of surgical approaches (i.e., selective laser trabeculoplasty in treatment-naive patients and MIGS) evolve in OAG in the near future? What is the physicians' likelihood of using Santen / Glaukos’s Preserflo MicroShunt (DE-128) in OAG?
Geography: United States.
Primary Research: Survey of 102 U.S. ophthalmologists / glaucoma specialists.
Special Topics assesses key trends in dynamic disease areas. This report on glaucoma will help drug marketers and developers gain insight into the current and anticipated impact of newer-to-market and key emerging therapies and approaches on physician prescribing decisions for the treatment of glaucoma in the United States.
- Glaucoma - Special Topics - Special Topics | New And Innovative Approaches In Treating Glaucoma (U.S.)
- Glaucoma - Special Topics - New and Innovative Approaches in Treating Glaucoma - US - October 2020
Author(s): Himanshu Jain, M.S. Pharm
Himanshu joined the CNS / ophthalmology team at Decision Resources Group in 2016. He has authored content for psychiatry and ophthalmology (retinal / nonretinal) indications, including schizophrenia, age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy / diabetic macular edema, dry eye disease, glaucoma, and uveitis.
Himanshu has more than ten years of experience working in market research and consulting firms, and has managed multiple market assessment projects, including bottom-up forecasts, across multiple therapy areas. He holds a M.S. degree in Pharmacology and Toxicology from the National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research in India and an Executive Post-Graduate Diploma in International Business from the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade.