The schizophrenia therapy market is dominated by oral and long-acting injectable (LAI) antipsychotics, which are primarily effective in treating positive symptoms. However, in late 2019, the U.S. market saw the approval of a novel drug for schizophrenia—Intra-Cellular Therapies’ Caplyta (lumateperone)—and more therapies with novel mechanisms of action are in late-phase development, including Sumitomo Dainippon Pharma / Sunovion's SEP-363856. In addition, new oral and LAI antipsychotics (e.g., Alkermes’s ALKS3831, Janssen’s paliperidone palmitate six-month depot), as well as generics of some key branded agents (e.g., Sumitomo Dainippon Pharma / Sunovion’s Latuda), could launch in the near future. The availability of these new therapies may strongly influence treatment dynamics in schizophrenia.
- What factors most influence psychiatrists’ choice of current antipsychotics for schizophrenia?
- Are psychiatrists familiar with key novel drugs in late-phase development for schizophrenia? How will these drugs fit into their treatment practice for schizophrenia? To what extent do psychiatrists believe that these therapies will be able to meet unmet needs in the treatment of schizophrenia?
- How is the competition heating up in the LAI segment? How will the availability of new LAIs impact the use of current LAIs in schizophrenia?
- To what extent do psychiatrists expect that current brands will be impacted by the anticipated generic entries of key branded agents for schizophrenia, such as LAIs?
DRG’s Special Topics reports assess key trends in dynamic disease areas. This report on schizophrenia will help drug marketers and developers gain needed insight into the anticipated impact of newer-to-market and key emerging therapies on physician prescribing decisions for schizophrenia in the United States.
Geographies: United States.
Primary research: Survey of 95 U.S. psychiatrists fielded in July 2020.
Key drugs covered: Caplyta, Secuado, ALKS3831, SEP-363856, pimavanserin, paliperidone palmitate six-month depot, Doria, TV-46000, Rexulti, Vraylar, Latuda, Abilify Maintena, Aristada, Invega Sustenna, Invega Trinza, Risperdal Consta, Perseris.
Key insights provided:
- Physician-reported treatment practices and patient shares in schizophrenia.
- Factors influencing disease management and treatment decisions in schizophrenia.
- Expected use patterns of key emerging oral and LAI therapies for schizophrenia.
- Expected impact of generic entry of key therapies for schizophrenia.
- Schizophrenia - Special Topics - Special Topics Evolving Market Dynamics In Schizophrenia US
- Schizophrenia | Special Topics - Evolving Market Dynamics in Schizophrenia | US | October 2020
Author(s): Shefali Gulati, MBA Pharm
Shefali Gulati, Associate analyst, is part of the Central Nervous System, Pain, and Ophthalmology team at Decision Resources Group.
She is responsible for performing extensive secondary market research and analysis for major pharmaceutical markets. She comes with one year of experience working on multiple client projects revolving around opportunity assessment, competitive landscape, pipeline analysis, and key product profiling. She holds a MBA degree in Pharmaceutical Management from the National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER) in India and Bachelor’s in Pharmacy from DIPSAR.