LaunchTrends: Cosentyx (US) is a three-wave syndicated report series that specifically tracks the introduction of Novartis’s Cosentyx (secukinumab), a potent, subcutaneous IL-17 inhibitor approved for the treatment of psoriasis (PsO). This report series is based on primary research data collected at one month, six months, and one year post-commercial availability of Cosentyx. Along with awareness and sources of familiarity, the reports assess U.S. dermatologists’ trial, adoption, and use of Cosentyx, including anticipated future trends. The reports also provide information on product perceptions, satisfaction, obstacles to use, drivers of prescribing, patient types, displacement of competitors, Novartis’s promotional efforts, and benchmarking against other previously launched immune agents.
- Novartis launched Cosentyx in the US market as a treatment for moderate to severe PsO in March 2015. What is dermatologists’ level of awareness and familiarity with Cosentyx over the course of the following year?
- Cosentyx enters a busy PsO market with five branded biologic/novel small molecule oral options, and an active pipeline. What are the perceived clinical advantages and disadvantages of Cosentyx compared with other marketed agents used to treat PsO? How are the trial and adoption of Cosentyx tracking compared with other product launches in the PsO market?
- Cosentyx’s US label recommends use for the treatment of moderate to severe plaque psoriasis in adult patients who are candidates for systemic therapy or phototherapy, with the potential of use prior to the established PsO-treating biologics. Where do dermatologists expect Cosentyx to fit in the PsO treatment algorithm? What are the current prescribing trends among biologics/novel orals, and how do dermatologists anticipate they will change?
- Novartis’ Cosentyx is the first IL-17-inhibiting psoriasis treatment to enter the market. What promotional messages and activities is Novartis employing in support of the Cosentyx launch?
Markets covered: United States.
Primary research: 75 dermatologists surveyed per report wave; 10 qualitative interviews with a subset of survey respondents.
Indication coverage: Psoriasis.
- Psoriasis - Emerging Therapies - Cosentyx Launch Tracking Wave 1 (US)
Author(s): Bingnan Kang, PhD
Bingnan Kang, Ph.D., is a Senior Director in the Immune and Inflammatory Disorders group at Decision Resources Group. She has authored market research reports covering a wide array of topics, including rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and pricing and reimbursement of immune biologics in the United States and Europe.
Dr. Kang received her Ph.D. in pharmacology from the Johns Hopkins University and a B.S. in biology from Tsinghua University.