DRG Epidemiology’s coverage of diabetic macular edema (DME) comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations in 45 countries worldwide. We report the prevalence of DME for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
All patient populations are forecast over a period of 10 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets and the other countries covered in this report. In addition to forecasting incident and prevalent patient populations, we estimate the number of drug-treatment opportunities in specific lines of therapy in the major mature pharmaceutical markets.
DRG Epidemiology’s DME forecast will answer the following questions:
- Of all people diagnosed with DME, how many in each of the major mature pharmaceutical markets are drug-treated?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of DME over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is also provided for full transparency into research and methods.
DRG Epidemiology forecasts following DME patient populations:
- Total prevalent cases.
- Total prevalent cases by DR severity.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases.
- Diagnosed drug-treated prevalent cases.
- Diagnosed non-drug-treated prevalent cases.
Note: Coverage may vary by country.
- Diabetic Macular Edema - Epidemiology - Emerging Markets
- Key Findings
- Prevalence of Diabetic Macular Edema per 1,000 People Aged 20+ in 2019 and 2029
- Relative Sizes of the Factors Contributing to the Trend in Prevalent Cases of Diabetic Macular Edema over the Next Ten Years
- Analysis of the Prevalent Cases of Diabetic Macular Edema in 2019 by Severity
- Epidemiology Data
- Total Prevalent Cases
- Total Prevalent Cases by DR Severity
- Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of DME
- Drug-Treated Prevalent Cases of DME
- Reference Materials
- Literature Review
- Studies Included in the Analysis of DME
- Studies Excluded from the Analysis of DME
- Risk/Protective Factors
- Risk/Protective Factors for DME
- Literature Review
Author(s): Deepti Sharma, MPH; Abey John, MPH
Deepti started working with Decision Resources Group as an intern in early 2017 and currently works as an associate epidemiologist.She works with a team of global epidemiologists in providing robust forecast estimates for multiple indications.
Deepti holds a Master’s in Public Health degree from PGIMER School of Public Health, and a bachelor’s degree in dental surgery from HP Government Dental College from Himachal Pradesh University, India.
Abey John is a medical graduate with a Master’s in Public Health and has been associated with DRG since September 2015. He works with a global team of epidemiologists in performing systematic reviews of assigned diseases and prepare forecast models for clients. He also is involved in producing analyses for pharmaceutical drug developers on the descriptive epidemiology of major drug indications in mature and developing markets and have an overall experience of three years working in different healthcare sectors across the country.
Prior to joining DRG, Abey had been working with Jhpiego (an affiliate of Johns Hopkins Medical University) in implementing Family Planning Health Programs in India with collaborating with the Government of India. He also has worked with a grassroots level NGO as a health team manager which worked for the benefit of the rural population living in the foothills of the Himalayas.