DRG Epidemiology’s coverage of glaucoma comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations in the major mature pharmaceutical markets (the United States, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and Japan). We report the prevalence of glaucoma for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
Most patient populations are forecast over a period of 20 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets and 10 years for the other countries covered.
DRG Epidemiology’s glaucoma forecast will answer the following questions:
- Of all people with glaucoma, how many in each of the major mature pharmaceutical markets have been formally diagnosed?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of glaucoma over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is also provided for full transparency into research and methods.
In addition to the total number of cases for each forecast year, DRG Epidemiology provides at least ten years of forecast data for the following glaucoma subpopulations:
- Total prevalent cases of glaucoma.
- Primary (primary open-angle glaucoma and primary angle closure glaucoma) and secondary glaucoma subpopulations.
- Diagnosed subpopulation(s).
Note: Coverage may vary by country.
- Glaucoma - Epidemiology - Mature Markets Data
- Key Updates
- Prevalence of Glaucoma per 100 Among People Aged 40+ in 2019 and 2039
- Relative Sizes of the Contributing Factors to the Trend in Prevalent Cases of Glaucoma over the Next 20 Years
- Analysis of the Prevalent Cases of Glaucoma in 2019 by Subtype
- Analysis of the Prevalent Cases of Glaucoma in 2019 by Diagnosis Status
- Epidemiology Data
- Total Prevalent Cases of Glaucoma
- Total Prevalent Cases of Primary Glaucoma
- Total Prevalent Cases of Primary Open-Angle Glaucoma
- Total Prevalent Cases of Primary Angle Closure Glaucoma
- Total Prevalent Cases of Secondary Glaucoma
- Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Glaucoma
- Reference Materials
- Literature Review
- Studies Included in the Analysis of Glaucoma
- Studies Excluded from the Analysis of Glaucoma
- Risk/Protective Factors
- Risk/Protective Factors for Glaucoma
- Literature Review
Author(s): Nishant Kumar, MPH
Nishant is a senior epidemiologist and head of oncology within the epidemiology team at Decision Resources Group. He also covers some CNS diseases, including Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. His key interests are developing interactive patient flows, and modelling disease progression to forecast commercially relevant drug-treatable incident and prevalent populations. Nishant also spends a lot of time collaborating with clients to help answer more specific questions through custom work and consulting projects.
His qualifications include an MSc in Public Health with specialization in epidemiology and statistics from King’s College London, and a BSc in Medical Studies from the University of Birmingham.