DRG Epidemiology’s coverage of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations in 45 countries worldwide. We report the prevalence of AMD for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
Most patient populations are forecast over a period of 20 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets and 10 years for the other countries covered in this report. In addition to forecasting prevalent patient populations, we forecast the number of drug-treatment opportunities in specific lines of therapy in the major mature pharmaceutical markets.
DRG Epidemiology’s AMD forecast will answer the following questions:
- Of all people with AMD, how many in each of the major mature pharmaceutical markets have been formally diagnosed?
- Of all people diagnosed with AMD, how many in each of the major mature pharmaceutical markets are drug-treated?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of AMD over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is provided for full transparency into research and methods.
In total, DRG Epidemiology forecasts 14 AMD patient populations, as follows:
- Diagnosed prevalent cases by geographic atrophy.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases of wet AMD.
- Drug-treated prevalent cases by geographic atrophy.
- Drug-treated prevalent cases of wet AMD.
- Non-drug-treated prevalent cases by geographic atrophy.
- Non-drug-treated prevalent cases of wet AMD.
- Total prevalent cases.
- Total prevalent cases of dry AMD.
- Total prevalent cases of early AMD.
- Total prevalent cases by geographic atrophy.
… and more (details available on request).
Note: Coverage may vary by country.
- Dry And Wet Age-Related Macular Degeneration - Epidemiology - Mature Markets
- Key Updates
- Total Prevalence of AMD per 100 per Year Among People Aged 40+ in 2019 and 2039
- Relative Sizes of the Factors Contributing to the Trend in Total Prevalent Cases of AMD over the Next 20 Years
- Epidemiology Data
- Total Prevalent Cases
- Total Prevalent Cases of Early AMD
- Total Prevalent Cases of Late AMD
- Total Prevalent Cases of Wet AMD and GA
- Total Prevalent Cases of Dry AMD
- Percentage Diagnosed
- Percentage Drug-Treated
- Lifetime DALYs Gained
- Reference Materials
- Literature Review
- Studies Included in the Analysis of AMD
- Studies Excluded from the Analysis of AMD
- Risk/Protective Factors
- Risk/Protective Factors for AMD
- Literature Review
Author(s): Deepti Sharma, M.P.H.; Abey John, M.P.H.
Deepti started working with Decision Resources Group as an intern in early 2017 and currently works as an associate epidemiologist.She works with a team of global epidemiologists in providing robust forecast estimates for multiple indications.
Deepti holds a Master’s in Public Health degree from PGIMER School of Public Health, and a bachelor’s degree in dental surgery from HP Government Dental College from Himachal Pradesh University, India.
Abey John, M.P.H., is an epidemiologist at DRG, part of Clarivate. Prior to joining DRG, he worked with Jhpiego (an affiliate of Johns Hopkins Medical University) in implementing family planning health programs in India in collaboration with the government of India. He also has worked at the grassroots level as a health team manager to help the rural population living in the foothills of the Himalayas. He holds a master’s degree in public health.