DRG Epidemiology's coverage of type 2 diabetes comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations across 45 countries worldwide. We report the prevalence of type 2 diabetes for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population. Most patient populations are forecast over a period of 20 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets and 10 years for the other countries covered in this report. DRG Epidemiology's type 2 diabetes forecast will answer the following questions:
- How will changes in the levels of exposure to known risk or protective factors affect the number of people living with a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes?
- Of all people with type 2 diabetes, how many in each country across the major mature pharmaceutical markets have been formally diagnosed?
- Of all people diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, how many in each country across the major mature pharmaceutical markets are drug-treated?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of type 2 diabetes over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is also provided for full transparency into research and methods.
In addition to the total number of cases for each forecast year, DRG Epidemiology also provides at least ten years of forecast data for the following type 2 diabetes subpopulations:
- CVD diagnosed prevalent cases by drug-treatment status
- Glycemic control by drug-treated status
- Glycemic control by diagnosis status
- Total prevalent cases by body mass index status
- Total prevalent cases by diagnosis status
- Total prevalent cases by renal impairment status
Note: coverage may vary by country and region. Source: Decision Resources Group
- Type 2 Diabetes - Epidemiology - Mature Markets Data
Author(s): Joseph Granato, MPH; Nicole Zhang, MPH
Joseph Granato joined Decision Resources Group in 2012 and previously worked on both Market Access and Global Market Access products. Joseph is currently responsible for forecasting the prevalence and incidence of disease populations throughout the world. He is also tasked with identifying at risk populations and developing new epidemiological methods used to predict overall population health.
He received his M.P.H. from Des Moines University where he worked on several population health projects including the delivery of continuing medical education on tick-borne diseases. He also holds a B.S. in Animal Science from the University of Tennessee. Prior to his time with DRG Joseph worked with the Monroe County Health Department on the surveillance of reportable diseases including Dengue Fever.
Nicole Zhang is an Epidemiologist at Decision Resources Group. She focuses on the epidemiology of oncology and cardiovascular disorders.
She holds an M.P.H. from Tufts Medical School where she specialized in epidemiology and biostatistics. She also holds a B.A. in Chemistry and Statistics from Mount Holyoke College. Prior to joining Decision Resources, she worked as a research analyst at Massachusetts General Hospital where she independently managed data from food information survey conducted in Chelsea, MA. She has also worked at Massachusetts Department of Public Health where she conducted secondary research in the fields of gestational diabetes.