DRG Epidemiology's coverage of obesity/overweight comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations across the major mature pharmaceutical markets (the United States, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and Japan). We report the prevalence of obesity/overweight for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
Most patient populations are forecast over a period of 20 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets and 10 years for the other countries covered in this report. In addition to forecasting prevalent patient populations, the number of drug-treatment opportunities at specific lines of therapy are also forecast across the major mature pharmaceutical markets.
DRG Epidemiology's obesity/overweight forecast will answer the following questions:
- How will changes in the levels of exposure to known risk or protective factors affect the number of people living with obesity/overweight?
- Of all people with obesity/overweight, how many in each country across the major mature pharmaceutical markets have been formally diagnosed?
- Of all people diagnosed with obesity/overweight, how many in each country across the major mature pharmaceutical markets are drug-treated?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of obesity/overweight over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is also provided for full transparency into research and methods. In addition, we provide a graphical depiction of the patient flow between or within different disease states for the major mature pharmaceutical markets. These patient flow diagrams are provided at the regional level, but may be requested for any specific country or forecast year.
In total, DRG Epidemiology forecasts nine obesity/overweight patient populations, as follows:
- Obesity prevalent cases.
- Overweight prevalent cases.
- Class II obesity prevalent cases.
- Class III obesity prevalent cases.
- Diagnosed drug-treated prevalent cases.
- Diagnosed non-drug-treated prevalent cases.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases.
- Drug-treatable overweight population.
- Non-drug-treatable overweight population.
- … and more (details available on request).
Note: Coverage may vary by country.
- Obesity/Overweight - Epidemiology - Mature Markets Data
Author(s): Joseph Granato, MPH
Joseph Granato joined Decision Resources Group in 2012 and previously worked on both Market Access and Global Market Access products. Joseph is currently responsible for forecasting the prevalence and incidence of disease populations throughout the world. He is also tasked with identifying at risk populations and developing new epidemiological methods used to predict overall population health.
He received his M.P.H. from Des Moines University where he worked on several population health projects including the delivery of continuing medical education on tick-borne diseases. He also holds a B.S. in Animal Science from the University of Tennessee. Prior to his time with DRG Joseph worked with the Monroe County Health Department on the surveillance of reportable diseases including Dengue Fever.