DRG Epidemiology’s coverage of axial spondyloarthritis (AxSpA) comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations in 45 countries worldwide. We report the prevalence of AxSpA for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
Most patient populations are forecast over a period of 20 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets of the United States, Europe, and Japan and 10 years for the other countries covered in this report.
DRG Epidemiology’s AxSpA forecast will answer the following questions:
- Of all people with AxSpA, how many in each of the major mature pharmaceutical markets have been formally diagnosed?
- Of all people diagnosed with AxSpA, how many in each of the major mature pharmaceutical markets are drug-treated?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of AxSpA over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is provided for full transparency into research and methods.
In addition to the total number of cases for each forecast year, DRG Epidemiology provides at least ten years of forecast data for the following AxSpA subpopulations:
- Total prevalent cases of ankylosing spondylitis (AS).
- Total prevalent cases of nonradiographic axial spondyloarthritis (nr-AxSpA).
- Total prevalent cases of AxSpA by HLA-B27 status.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases of AxSpA by drug-treatment status.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases of AS by drug-treatment status.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases of nr-AxSpA by drug-treatment status.
- Total prevalent cases of AxSpA by diagnosis status.
- Total prevalent cases of AS by diagnosis status.
- Total prevalent cases of nr-AxSpA by diagnosis status.
Note: Coverage may vary by country.
- Axial Spondyloarthritis - Epidemiology - Emerging Markets
Author(s): Mudasir Khan, M.P.H.; Abey John, MPH
Mudasir works as an associate epidemiologist within the epidemiology team at Decision Resources Group. He specializes in developing epidemiological forecasts for multiple indications within the DRG syndicated portfolio.
Mudasir holds a masters in public health specializing in epidemiology from TISS, Mumbai.
Abey John is a medical graduate with a Master’s in Public Health and has been associated with DRG since September 2015. He works with a global team of epidemiologists in performing systematic reviews of assigned diseases and prepare forecast models for clients. He also is involved in producing analyses for pharmaceutical drug developers on the descriptive epidemiology of major drug indications in mature and developing markets and have an overall experience of three years working in different healthcare sectors across the country.
Prior to joining DRG, Abey had been working with Jhpiego (an affiliate of Johns Hopkins Medical University) in implementing Family Planning Health Programs in India with collaborating with the Government of India. He also has worked with a grassroots level NGO as a health team manager which worked for the benefit of the rural population living in the foothills of the Himalayas.