DRG Epidemiology's coverage of giant cell arteritis (GCA) comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations across the major mature pharmaceutical markets (the United States, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and Japan). We report both the incidence and prevalence of GCA for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
All patient populations are forecast over a period of 20 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets covered in this report.
DRG Epidemiology's GCA forecast will answer the following question:
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of GCA over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is also provided for full transparency into research and methods.
In addition to the total number of diagnosed incident cases for each forecast year, DRG Epidemiology also provides 20 years of forecast data for the following GCA subpopulations:
- Diagnosed prevalent cases.
- Diagnosed incident cases by PMR status.
- Diagnosed incident cases by biopsy status.
Note: Coverage may vary by country.
- Giant Cell Arteritis - Epidemiology - Mature Markets Data
- Key Findings
- Diagnosed Incidence of Giant Cell Arteritis per 100,000 per Year Among People Aged 50+ in 2018 and 2038
- Relative Sizes of the Factors Contributing to the Trend in Incident Cases of Giant Cell Arteritis over the Next 20 Years
- Epidemiology Data
- Diagnosed Prevalent Cases
- Diagnosed Incident Cases
- Diagnosed Incident Cases by Biopsy Status
- Diagnosed Incident Cases by Polymyalgia Rheumatica Status
- Reference Materials
- Literature Review
- Studies Included in the Analysis of Giant Cell Arteritis
- Studies Excluded from the Analysis of Giant Cell Arteritis
- Risk/Protective Factors
- Risk/Protective Factors for Giant Cell Arteritis
- Literature Review
Author(s): Mudasir Khan, M.P.H.; Abey John, MPH
Mudasir works as an associate epidemiologist within the epidemiology team at Decision Resources Group. He specializes in developing epidemiological forecasts for multiple indications within the DRG syndicated portfolio.
Mudasir holds a masters in public health specializing in epidemiology from TISS, Mumbai.
Abey John is a medical graduate with a Master’s in Public Health and has been associated with DRG since September 2015. He works with a global team of epidemiologists in performing systematic reviews of assigned diseases and prepare forecast models for clients. He also is involved in producing analyses for pharmaceutical drug developers on the descriptive epidemiology of major drug indications in mature and developing markets and have an overall experience of three years working in different healthcare sectors across the country.
Prior to joining DRG, Abey had been working with Jhpiego (an affiliate of Johns Hopkins Medical University) in implementing Family Planning Health Programs in India with collaborating with the Government of India. He also has worked with a grassroots level NGO as a health team manager which worked for the benefit of the rural population living in the foothills of the Himalayas.