DRG Epidemiology’s coverage of ulcerative colitis (UC) comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations across the mature (the United States, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and Japan) and emerging pharmaceutical markets (Brazil, China, India, Mexico, Russia, South Korea, and Turkey), as well as countries from the Americas, Asia-Pacific, Europe, Middle East, and Africa. We report the diagnosed prevalence of UC for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
Most patient populations are forecast over a period of 20 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets and 10 years for the other countries covered in this report.
DRG Epidemiology’s UC forecast will answer the following questions:
- Of all people with UC, how many in each country have been formally diagnosed?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of UC over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is provided for full transparency into research and methods.
In addition to the total number of cases for each forecast year, DRG Epidemiology provides at least ten years of forecast data for the following UC subpopulations:
- Incident cases by diagnosis status.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases by extent of disease.
Note: Coverage may vary by country.
- Ulcerative Colitis - Epidemiology - Americas
- Key Findings
- Prevalence of Ulcerative Colitis per 100,000 Among People of All Ages in 2018 and 2028
- Relative Sizes of the Contributing Factors to the Trend in Prevalent Cases of Ulcerative Colitis over the Next Ten Years
- Analysis of the Prevalent Cases of Ulcerative Colitis in 2018 by Extent of Disease
- Number of Additional Prevalent Cases of Ulcerative Colitis Incurred over 2018-2028 in the Countries Under Study
- Key Findings
- Epidemiology Data
- Diagnosed Prevalent Cases
- Diagnosed Incident Cases
- Disease Extent
- Disease Severity
- Percentage Drug-Treated
- Lifetime DALYs Gained
- Reference Materials
- Literature Review
- Studies Included in the Analysis of Ulcerative Colitis
- Studies Excluded in the Analysis of Ulcerative Colitis
- Risk/Protective Factors
- Literature Review
Author(s): Abey John, MPH
Abey John is a medical graduate with a Master’s in Public Health and has been associated with DRG since September 2015. He works with a global team of epidemiologists in performing systematic reviews of assigned diseases and prepare forecast models for clients. He also is involved in producing analyses for pharmaceutical drug developers on the descriptive epidemiology of major drug indications in mature and developing markets and have an overall experience of three years working in different healthcare sectors across the country.
Prior to joining DRG, Abey had been working with Jhpiego (an affiliate of Johns Hopkins Medical University) in implementing Family Planning Health Programs in India with collaborating with the Government of India. He also has worked with a grassroots level NGO as a health team manager which worked for the benefit of the rural population living in the foothills of the Himalayas.