DRG Epidemiology’s coverage of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations in 45 countries worldwide. We report the prevalence of COPD for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
Most patient populations are forecast over a period of 20 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets of the United States, Europe, and Japan and 10 years for the other countries covered in this report.
DRG Epidemiology’s COPD forecast will answer the following questions:
- How will changes in the levels of exposure to known risk or protective factors affect the number of people living with COPD?
- In developing countries, what impact will economic growth and development have on the number of people living with a diagnosis of COPD?
- Of all people with COPD, how many in each country have been formally diagnosed?
- Of all people diagnosed with COPD, how many in each of the major mature pharmaceutical markets are drug-treated?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of COPD over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is provided for full transparency into research and methods.
In addition to the total number of cases for each forecast year, DRG Epidemiology provides at least ten years of forecast data for the following COPD subpopulations:
- Eosinophilic COPD.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases by severity.
- Drug-treated cases (mild-moderate).
- Drug-treated cases (severe-very severe).
- Drug-treatment status.
- Exacerbations in mild-moderate disease status.
- Exacerbations in severe-very severe disease status.
- Diagnosis status.
- … and more (details available on request).
Note: Coverage may vary by country.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - Epidemiology - Mature Markets
Author(s): Stephanie Niquita; Abey John, MPH
Stephanie Niquita works as an associate epidemiologist at Decision Resources Group. Stephanie holds a masters in public health specializing in epidemiology from TISS, Mumbai and a medical degree from Hubei University of Chinese Medicine, People’s Republic of China. She has been trained as a community physician and has also supervised and coordinated various governmental and non-governmental public health projects.
Abey John is a medical graduate with a Master’s in Public Health and has been associated with DRG since September 2015. He works with a global team of epidemiologists in performing systematic reviews of assigned diseases and prepare forecast models for clients. He also is involved in producing analyses for pharmaceutical drug developers on the descriptive epidemiology of major drug indications in mature and developing markets and have an overall experience of three years working in different healthcare sectors across the country.
Prior to joining DRG, Abey had been working with Jhpiego (an affiliate of Johns Hopkins Medical University) in implementing Family Planning Health Programs in India with collaborating with the Government of India. He also has worked with a grassroots level NGO as a health team manager which worked for the benefit of the rural population living in the foothills of the Himalayas.