DRG Epidemiology's coverage of asthma comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations across 45 countries worldwide. We report the prevalence of asthma for each country as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
Most patient populations are forecast over a period of 20 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets and 10 years for the other countries covered in this report.
DRG Epidemiology's asthma forecast will answer the following questions:
- How will changes in the levels of exposure to known risk or protective factors affect the number of people living with a diagnosis of asthma?
- In developing countries, what impact will economic growth and development have on the number of people living with a diagnosis of asthma?
- Of all people diagnosed with asthma, how many in each country across the major mature pharmaceutical markets are drug-treated?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of asthma over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is also provided for full transparency into research and methods.
In addition to the total number of cases for each forecast year, DRG Epidemiology provides at least ten years of forecast data for the following asthma subpopulations:
- Diagnosed prevalent cases (symptomatic or medically controlled) by severity.
- Drug treated status.
- Drug treated status: intermittent/mild.
- Drug treated status: moderate/severe.
- Symptomatic diagnosed prevalent cases by severity.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases by British Thoracic Society steps.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases by history of atopy.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases by eosinophilic status.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases by eosinophilic severity.
Note: coverage may vary by country.
- Asthma - Epidemiology - Mature Markets Data
Author(s): Ruchika Sharma, MPH; Alison Isherwood, MSc, MRes, PhD
Ruchika Sharma joined Decision Resources Group as Associate Epidemiologist in May 2016. She performs fully documented systematic reviews of both published and grey literature on the epidemiology of assigned diseases and their risk factors to estimate incidence/prevalence over a 10-30 year period. She produces analyses for pharmaceutical drug developers on the descriptive epidemiology of major drug indications in mature and developing markets.
She holds a Master of Public Health degree from School of Public Health, Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, and a Bachelor of Dental Surgery from MN DAV Dental College & Hospital.She has previously worked as a dental surgeon and as a Fellow at the National Health Systems Resource Centre, where she supported the preparation of National Health Accounts - Guidelines for India 2016.
Alison Isherwood, B.Sc., M.Res., M.Sc., Ph.D. joined Decision Resources Group in 2008, as an Epidemiologist. Alison holds a B.Sc. in Medical Microbiology, Masters by Research in the Life Sciences and a M.Sc. in Epidemiology all from the University of Edinburgh. Prior to joining Decision Resources Inc., she was working on her Ph.D. in Molecular Virology, specializing on the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) coronavirus, at the University of Reading. In her role at Decision Resources Group, Alison is currently an Epidemiology team lead as well as project managing custom epidemiology work in multiple therapy areas. Alison’s area of specialization at DRG is cancer, particularly breast cancer.