DRG Epidemiology’s coverage of beta thalassemia (BT) comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations in the major mature pharmaceutical markets (the United States, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and Japan). We report the prevalence of BT for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
In addition to forecasting prevalent patient populations, we estimate the number of drug-treatment opportunities in specific lines of therapy in the major mature pharmaceutical markets.
DRG Epidemiology’s BT forecast will answer the following questions:
- How will changes in the levels of exposure to known risk or protective factors affect the number of people living with a diagnosis of BT?
- Of all people diagnosed with BT, how many in each major mature pharmaceutical market are drug-treated?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of BT over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is also provided for full transparency into research and methods.
DRG Epidemiology forecasts the following BT patient populations:
- Diagnosed prevalence.
- Drug-treated prevalence.
- BT major.
- BT major by genotype.
- BT major by HSC transplantation.
- BT intermedia by need for transfusion.
Note: Coverage may vary by country.
- Beta Thalassemia - Epidemiology - Mature Markets Data
- Key Findings
- Key Updates
- Diagnosed Prevalence of Beta Thalassemia per 100,000 People of All Ages in 2018 and 2028
- Relative Sizes of the Contributing Factors to the Trend in Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Beta Thalassemia over the Next Ten Years
- Epidemiology Data
- Diagnosed Prevalence of Beta Thalassemia
- Beta Thalassemia by Severity
- Beta Thalassemia Major by Genotype
- Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Beta Thalassemia Major by HSC Transplantation
- Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Beta Thalassemia Intermedia by the Need for Transfusion
- Drug-Treated Cases of Beta Thalassemia
- Reference Materials
- Literature Review
- Studies Included in the Analysis of Beta Thalassemia
- Studies Excluded from the Analysis of Beta Thalassemia
- Risk/Protective Factors
- Risk/Protective Factors for Beta Thalassemia
- Literature Review
Author(s): Narendra Parihar
Narendra Parihar, M.P.H., is a principal epidemiologist at Clarivate. His areas of interest are cancer epidemiology, rare disease epidemiology, and targeted therapies in cancer. A former dentist, he earned his M.P.H. from the Tata Institute of Social Sciences in Mumbai.