DRG Epidemiology’s coverage of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations across the mature pharmaceutical markets (the United States, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and Japan), as well as many other European countries. We report the prevalence of CFS for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
DRG Epidemiology’s CFS forecast will answer the following questions:
- Of all people with CFS, how many in each country have been formally diagnosed?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of CFS over the forecast period?
- How many people with diagnosed CFS also have fibromyalgia?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is also provided for full transparency into research and methods.
DRG Epidemiology provides at least ten years of forecast data for the following CFS patient populations:
- Prevalent cases.
- Prevalent cases by diagnosis status.
- Prevalent cases with comorbid fibromyalgia.
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Epidemiology - Mature Markets Data
- Key Findings
- Diagnosed Prevalence of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome per 100,000 Adults in 2017 and 2027
- Relative Sizes of the Factors Contributing to the Trend in Prevalent Cases of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome over the Next Ten Years
- Key Findings
- Epidemiology Data
- Total Prevalent Cases
- Diagnosed Prevalent Cases
- Diagnosed Prevalent Cases with Fibromyalgia
- Reference Materials
- Literature Review
- Studies Included in the Analysis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Studies Excluded from the Analysis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Risk/Protective Factors
- Risk/Protective Factors for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Literature Review
Author(s): Abey John, MPH; Wouter van der Pluijm, MPH
Abey John is a medical graduate with a Master’s in Public Health and has been associated with DRG since September 2015. He works with a global team of epidemiologists in performing systematic reviews of assigned diseases and prepare forecast models for clients. He also is involved in producing analyses for pharmaceutical drug developers on the descriptive epidemiology of major drug indications in mature and developing markets and have an overall experience of three years working in different healthcare sectors across the country.
Prior to joining DRG, Abey had been working with Jhpiego (an affiliate of Johns Hopkins Medical University) in implementing Family Planning Health Programs in India with collaborating with the Government of India. He also has worked with a grassroots level NGO as a health team manager which worked for the benefit of the rural population living in the foothills of the Himalayas.
Wouter van der Pluijm is a Senior Epidemiologist at Decision Resources Group and joined in 2014.
Wouter holds an M.P.H. in Epidemiology from the University of Michigan. Prior to joining DRG, Wouter worked for the Washtenaw County Public Health Department on the epidemiology and public health surveillance teams, studying West Nile virus, as well as depression and drug abuse in the county.