DRG Epidemiology's coverage of Parkinson's disease (PD) comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations across 45 countries worldwide. We report both the incidence and prevalence of PD for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
Most patient populations are forecast over a period of 20 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets and 10 years for the other countries covered in this report.
DRG Epidemiology’s PD forecast will answer the following questions:
- Of all people with PD, how many in each country have been formally diagnosed?
- Of all people diagnosed with PD, how many in each country across the countries are drug-treated?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of PD over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is also provided for full transparency into research and methods. In addition, we provide a graphical depiction of the patient flow between or within different disease states for the United States, Europe and Japan. These patient flow diagrams are provided at the regional level, but may be requested for any specific country or forecast year.
DRG Epidemiology provides at least ten years of forecast data for the following PD patient populations:
- Total prevalent cases of PD
- Total incident cases of PD
- Diagnosed prevalent cases of PD
- Diagnosed prevalent cases by comorbidity & complication
- Diagnosed prevalent cases by drug-treatment
- Diagnosed prevalent cases by Hoehn and Yahr staging
- Freezing of gait subpopulation(s)
- Parkinson's disease- prodromal PD cases
- Stages of freezing of gait subpopulation(s)
- Mutation subpopulation(s)
… and more (details available on request).
Note: coverage may vary by country and region.
- Parkinson's Disease - Epidemiology - Emerging Markets
- Key Findings
- Total Prevalence of Parkinson's Disease per 100,000 Among People Aged 30+ in 2019 and 2029
- Relative Sizes of the Factors Contributing to the Trend in Prevalent Cases of Parkinson's Disease over the Next Ten Years
- Analysis of the Prevalent Cases of Parkinson's Disease in 2019 by Diagnosed and Drug-Treated Status
- Epidemiology Data
- Lifetime DALYs Gained
- Total Prevalent Cases
- Total Incident Cases
- Percentage Diagnosed
- Hoehn and Yahr Stage
- PD-Related Dementia
- PD-Associated Depression
- GBA Mutation in PD
- LRRK G2019S Mutation in PD
- Percentage Drug-Treated
- Reference Materials
- Literature Review
- Studies Included in the Analysis of Parkinson's Disease
- Studies Excluded from the Analysis of Parkinson's Disease
- Risk/Protective Factors
- Risk/Protective Factors for Parkinson's Disease
- Literature Review
Author(s): Abey John, MPH
Abey John is a medical graduate with a Master’s in Public Health and has been associated with DRG since September 2015. He works with a global team of epidemiologists in performing systematic reviews of assigned diseases and prepare forecast models for clients. He also is involved in producing analyses for pharmaceutical drug developers on the descriptive epidemiology of major drug indications in mature and developing markets and have an overall experience of three years working in different healthcare sectors across the country.
Prior to joining DRG, Abey had been working with Jhpiego (an affiliate of Johns Hopkins Medical University) in implementing Family Planning Health Programs in India with collaborating with the Government of India. He also has worked with a grassroots level NGO as a health team manager which worked for the benefit of the rural population living in the foothills of the Himalayas.