DRG Epidemiology’s coverage of fibromyalgia comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations in the major mature pharmaceutical markets (the United States, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and Japan). We report the prevalence of fibromyalgia for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
Most patient populations are forecast over a period of 20 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets and 10 years for the other countries covered.
DRG Epidemiology’s fibromyalgia forecast will answer the following questions:
- Of all people with fibromyalgia, how many in each of the major mature pharmaceutical markets have been formally diagnosed?
- Of all people diagnosed with fibromyalgia, how many in each of the major mature pharmaceutical markets are drug-treated?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of fibromyalgia over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is provided for full transparency into research and methods.
In addition to the total number of cases for each forecast year, DRG Epidemiology provides at least ten years of forecast data for the following fibromyalgia subpopulations:
- Diagnosed prevalent cases by drug-treatment status.
- Total prevalent cases of fibromyalgia with comorbid anxiety.
- Total prevalent cases of fibromyalgia with comorbid depression.
- Total prevalent cases of fibromyalgia with comorbid migraines.
- Total prevalent cases of fibromyalgia with comorbid insomnia.
- Total prevalent cases by diagnosis status.
Note: Coverage may vary by country.
- Fibromyalgia - Epidemiology - Mature Markets Data
- Key Findings
- Total Prevalence of Fibromyalgia per 1,000 Among People Aged 18+ in 2018 and 2038
- Relative Sizes of the Contributing Factors to the Trend in Total Prevalent Cases of Fibromyalgia over the Next Ten Years
- Analysis of Total Prevalent Cases of Fibromyalgia by Diagnosed and Drug-Treated Status
- Epidemiology Data
- Epidemiology Populations
- Total Prevalent Cases
- Comorbid Cases
- Percentage Diagnosed
- Percentage Drug-Treated
- Reference Materials
- Literature Review
- Studies Included in the Analysis of Fibromyalgia
- Studies Excluded from the Analysis of Fibromyalgia
- Risk/Protective Factors
- Risk/Protective Factors for Fibromyalgia
- Literature Review
Author(s): Kurt White
Kurt is an associate epidemiologist and joined Decision Resources Group in 2018. He has significant experience with statistical methods such as multivariate linear regression and logistic regression.
He completed his master’s and doctoral degree (MPH, PhD) in Epidemiology at Indiana University School of Public Health, where he worked on projects investigating the relationship between physical activity and infectious disease health outcomes. He also completed his master’s (MA) in anthropology at Indiana University and his master’s (MS) in biology at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis.