DRG Epidemiology's coverage of Parkinson's disease (PD) comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations across 45 countries worldwide. We report both the incidence and prevalence of PD for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
Most patient populations are forecast over a period of 20 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets and 10 years for the other countries covered in this report.
DRG Epidemiology’s PD forecast will answer the following questions:
- Of all people with PD, how many in each country have been formally diagnosed?
- Of all people diagnosed with PD, how many in each country across the countries are drug-treated?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of PD over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is also provided for full transparency into research and methods. In addition, we provide a graphical depiction of the patient flow between or within different disease states for the United States, Europe and Japan. These patient flow diagrams are provided at the regional level, but may be requested for any specific country or forecast year.
DRG Epidemiology provides at least ten years of forecast data for the following PD patient populations:
- Total prevalent cases of PD
- Total incident cases of PD
- Diagnosed prevalent cases of PD
- Diagnosed prevalent cases by comorbidity & complication
- Diagnosed prevalent cases by drug-treatment
- Diagnosed prevalent cases by Hoehn and Yahr staging
- Freezing of gait subpopulation(s)
- Parkinson's disease- prodromal PD cases
- Stages of freezing of gait subpopulation(s)
- Mutation subpopulation(s)
… and more (details available on request).
Note: coverage may vary by country and region.
- Parkinson's Disease - Epidemiology - Mature Markets
- Key Findings
- Total Prevalence of Parkinson's Disease per 100,000 Among People Aged 30+ in 2019 and 2039
- Relative Sizes of the Factors Contributing to the Trend in Prevalent Cases of Parkinson's Disease over the Next Twenty Years
- Analysis of the Prevalent Cases of Parkinson's Disease in 2019 by Diagnosed and Drug-Treated Status
- Epidemiology Data
- Lifetime DALYs Gained
- Total Prevalent Cases
- Total Incident Cases
- Prodromal PD Cases
- Percentage Diagnosed
- Hoehn & Yahr Stage
- PD-Related Dementia
- PD-Associated Depression
- Freezing of Gait
- GBA Mutation in PD
- LRRK2 G2019S Mutation in PD
- PD-Associated Psychosis
- Wearing Off
- Orthostatic Hypotension
- Percentage Drug-Treated
- PD-associated Dysphagia
- Reference Materials
- Literature Review
- Studies Included in the Analysis of Parkinson's Disease
- Studies Excluded from the Analysis of Parkinson's Disease
- Risk/Protective Factors
- Risk/Protective Factors for Parkinson's Disease
- Literature Review
Author(s): Abey John, M.P.H.
Abey John, M.P.H., is an epidemiologist at DRG, part of Clarivate. Prior to joining DRG, he worked with Jhpiego (an affiliate of Johns Hopkins Medical University) in implementing family planning health programs in India in collaboration with the government of India. He also has worked at the grassroots level as a health team manager to help the rural population living in the foothills of the Himalayas. He holds a master’s degree in public health.