DRG Epidemiology’s coverage of migraine comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations in 45 countries worldwide. We report the prevalence of migraine for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
Most patient populations are forecast over a period of 20 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets of the United States, Europe, and Japan and 10 years for the other countries covered.
DRG Epidemiology’s migraine forecast will answer the following questions:
- Of all people with migraine, how many in each of the major mature pharmaceutical markets have been formally diagnosed?
- Of all people diagnosed with migraine, how many in each of the major mature pharmaceutical markets are drug-treated?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of migraine over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is provided for full transparency into research and methods.
In addition to the total number of cases for each forecast year, DRG Epidemiology provides at least ten years of forecast data for the following migraine subpopulations:
- Diagnosed prevalent chronic cases by acute drug-treatment status.
- Diagnosed prevalent chronic cases by prophylactic drug-treatment status.
- Diagnosed prevalent episodic cases by acute drug-treatment status.
- Diagnosed prevalent episodic cases by prophylactic drug-treatment status.
- Total episodic cases by severity status.
- Total episodic events.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases of episodic migraine.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases of chronic migraine.
Note: Coverage may vary by country.
- Migraine - Epidemiology - Mature Markets
Author(s): Shilpa Thakur; Abey John, MPH
Shilpa Thakur is a medical graduate with a M.P.H from the Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research with a specialization in epidemiology and biostatistics. She specializes in developing epidemiological forecasts for the multiple indications within the DRG syndicated portfolio.
Prior to joining Decision Resources, she monitored HIV sentinel surveillance 2016-2017 in Himachal Pradesh. She also has worked on to see the patterns of Antimicrobial resistance in India.
Abey John is a medical graduate with a Master’s in Public Health and has been associated with DRG since September 2015. He works with a global team of epidemiologists in performing systematic reviews of assigned diseases and prepare forecast models for clients. He also is involved in producing analyses for pharmaceutical drug developers on the descriptive epidemiology of major drug indications in mature and developing markets and have an overall experience of three years working in different healthcare sectors across the country.
Prior to joining DRG, Abey had been working with Jhpiego (an affiliate of Johns Hopkins Medical University) in implementing Family Planning Health Programs in India with collaborating with the Government of India. He also has worked with a grassroots level NGO as a health team manager which worked for the benefit of the rural population living in the foothills of the Himalayas.