Eli Lilly’s Olumiant is the second-in-class Jak inhibitor approved for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in the United States. Its launch comes years after that of Pfizer’s Jak inhibitor, Xeljanz (approved for RA in 2012). With several other Jak inhibitors in late-phase development for RA (e.g., filgotinib [Galapagos/Gilead], upadacitinib [AbbVie]), physicians’ perceptions of Olumiant and its market performance thus far will offer important insight to Eli Lilly and other companies hoping to penetrate this increasingly crowded space. The Emerging Therapies rheumatoid arthritis series includes three waves that will track the awareness, trial, and uptake of Olumiant since its U.S. launch in June 2018 for the treatment of RA. In addition, the series will examine anticipated future trends in RA treatment, particularly Olumiant’s uptake, and assess Eli Lilly’s promotional efforts.
- What is the awareness of, familiarity with, and perception of Olumiant among U.S. rheumatologists?
- According to surveyed prescribers, which patients are being prescribed Olumiant, what are the reasons for prescribing the drug, and how satisfied are they with Olumiant?
- How do prescribers and nonprescribers compare across key metrics?
- How are the trial and adoption of Olumiant tracking compared with other recent product launches in the autoimmune market?
- Geography: United States
- Primary research: Survey of approximately 75 U.S. rheumatologists for each wave
Key metrics included:
- Unaided and aided awareness of Olumiant.
- Familiarity with and impressions of Olumiantprescriber and nonprescriber profiles.
- Willingness to prescribe Olumiant.
- Performance of Olumiant on key attributes.
- Sales representative frequency, reach, and satisfaction.
- Benchmarking against previously launched rheumatoid arthritis agents.
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Emerging Therapies captures U.S. physicians’ awareness, perceptions, and usage of the launched product at one, six, and twelve months postlaunch, as well as the current and future impact on competitor therapies and the overall market. Insight is also provided on promotional efforts, prescriber and nonprescriber profiles, benchmarking against other launched agents, along with statistical comparative analysis with prior waves so that marketers can track and optimize the effectiveness of their launch strategy or fine-tune their product positioning to counter its impact on their brand’s share.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis - Emerging Therapies - Olumiant (Baricitinib) Launch Tracking Wave 2
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Emerging Therapies Olumiant US Wave 2 (February 2019)
Author(s): Mohit Nasa, MBA
Mohit Nasa is a Lead Insights analyst on the Immune and Inflammatory team at Decision Resources Group and has authored content for indications like asthma and rheumatoid arthritis.
He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy and has earned his MBA in marketing and CRM from Amity Business School. Prior to joining DRG, Mohit worked as a Senior Business analyst at Novartis where he was responsible for end to end market assessment, reporting analytics and related projects for Novartis’s asthma brand Xolair. Mohit has also worked as Brand Manager at Ozone pharma and an Account Manager for IMS Health.