Eli Lilly’s Olumiant is the second-in-class Jak inhibitor approved for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in the United States. Its launch comes years after the launch of Pfizer’s Jak inhibitor, Xeljanz (approved for RA in 2012). With several other Jak inhibitors in late-phase development for RA (e.g., filgotinib [Galapagos/Gilead], upadacitinib [AbbVie]), physicians’ perceptions of Olumiant and the product’s market performance thus far will offer important insight to Eli Lilly and other companies hoping to penetrate this increasingly crowded space. The Rheumatoid Arthritis Emerging Therapy series includes three waves that will track the awareness, trial, and uptake of Olumiant since its U.S. launch in June 2018 for the treatment of RA. In addition, the series will examine anticipated future trends in RA treatment, particularly Olumiant’s uptake, and assess Lilly’s promotional efforts.
- What is the awareness of, familiarity with, and perceptions related to Olumiant among U.S. rheumatologists?
- According to surveyed prescribers, to which patients are they prescribing Olumiant, what are the reasons for prescribing the drug, and how satisfied are they with Olumiant?
- How do prescribers and nonprescribers compare across key metrics?
- How are the trial and adoption of Olumiant tracking compared with other recent product launches in the autoimmune market?
Emerging Therapies: is a three-wave series based on primary research data collected at one, six, and twelve months post-commercial launch with U.S. physicians. The research captures physicians’ awareness, perceptions, and usage of the launched product, as well as the impact on current therapies and anticipated future trends. Insight is also provided on promotional efforts, prescriber and nonprescriber profiles, and benchmarking against other launched agents.
Survey of 75 U.S. rheumatologists for each wave.
KEY METRICS INCLUDED
- Unaided and Aided Awareness of Olumiant
- Familiarity with and Impressions of Olumiant
- Prescriber and Nonprescriber Profiles
- Willingness to Prescribe Olumiant
- Performance of Olumiant on Key Attributes
- Sales Representative Frequency, Reach, and Satisfaction
- Benchmarking Against Previously Launched Rheumatoid Arthritis Agents
- Rheumatoid Arthritis - Emerging Therapies - Olumiant (Baricitinib) Launch Tracking Wave 1
- Rheumatoid Arthritis–Emerging Therapies–Olumiant–Wave 1 (September 2018)
Author(s): Maria Genco, Ph.D; Andrea Buurma Kravit
Maria Genco, Ph.D., is an analyst on the Immune and Inflammatory Disorders group at Decision Resources Group, primarily focusing on rheumatoid arthritis and axial spondyloarthritis. She has authored market research reports on the RA disease landscape and commercial outlook of drugs, unmet needs in RA, and market access and reimbursement for RA targeted therapies. Prior to joining Decision Resources, Dr. Genco received her M.S. and Ph.D. in neuroscience from Brandeis University and a B.A. in neuroscience from Wellesley College.
Andrea Kravit is a director in Decision Resources Group’s Immune and Inflammatory division, where she manages, and supports, a team of therapeutically-aligned analysts who conduct extensive primary and secondary market research in the gastrointestinal and respiratory space. Prior to this role, she was a principal analyst for Decision Resources Group's Central Nervous Systems and Ophthalmology division, where she provided expert insight into the commercial aspects of drug development and market sizing across Pain indications. Her project experience includes patient-based market forecasting, market opportunity assessments, early to late-stage pipeline analyses, and competitive analytics for the life-science industry.