Hepatocellular carcinoma is a primary malignancy of the liver that commonly arises from liver cirrhosis. Nexavar (Bayer HealthCare / Amgen / Onyx) was the only drug approved for advanced disease until the 2017/2018 approvals of Stivarga (Bayer HealthCare), Opdivo (Bristol Myers Squibb / Ono Pharmaceutical), Keytruda (Merck & Co.), Lenvima (Eisai / Merck & Co.), Cabometyx (Exelixis), and Cyramza (Eli Lilly) and the 2020 approvals of Tecentriq plus Avastin (Roche / Genentech) and Opdivo plus Yervoy (Bristol Myers Squibb / Ono Pharmaceutical). Driving the growth of the hepatocellular carcinoma therapy market will be the uptake of these premium-priced immune checkpoint inhibitors and their combination regimens. Because this market is still largely untapped, it offers substantial commercial potential.
- What is the current treatment landscape for hepatocellular carcinoma, and what clinical needs remain unfulfilled?
- Which drug classes are in the late-phase development pipeline, and which agents are the most promising?
- How is the drug-treatable hepatocellular carcinoma population defined, and how will drug-treatment rates change over time?
- Which emerging therapies do we forecast to enter each of the hepatocellular carcinoma market segments?
- What uptake and sales are these therapies anticipated to secure?
Markets covered: United States, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom, and Japan.
Primary research: 19 country-specific interviews with thought leaders (medical oncologists).
Key companies: Bayer HealthCare / Amgen / Onyx, Bristol Myers Squibb / Ono Pharmaceutical, Merck & Co., Eisai, Exelixis / Ipsen, Eli Lilly, Roche / Genentech.
Key drugs: Nexavar, Lenvima, Stivarga, Cabometyx, Cyramza, Avastin, Tecentriq, Opdivo, Yervoy, Keytruda.
Population segments in market forecast: Early stage, first-line intermediate stage, second-line intermediate stage, first-line advanced stage, and second-line advanced stage hepatocellular carcinoma.
Emerging therapies: Phase III/PR: 3 drugs; Phase II: 18 drugs; coverage of select preclinical and Phase I products.
Disease Landscape & Forecast provides comprehensive market intelligence with world-class epidemiology, keen insight into current treatment paradigms, in-depth pipeline assessments, and drug forecasts supported by detailed primary and secondary research.
Disease Landscape & Forecast will feature continuous updates in 2021 to provide timely insights and analyses as meaningful indication-specific news and events unfold.