Myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) are a heterogeneous collection of hematopoietic stem cell disorders that result in cytopenias and the risk of progression to acute myeloid leukemia. Treatment goals vary according to disease severity, and patients may receive drugs such as erythropoietin-stimulating agents (ESAs), lenalidomide, and hypomethylating agents (HMAs). However, the MDS treatment landscape is set to change dramatically with the launch of several new emerging therapies. We explore current prescribing patterns, factors that drive or constrain hematologists’ use of key therapies, and the changes in prescribing expected in the coming year.
- What percentage of MDS patients progress from one line of therapy to another based on severity? What is the treatment duration before progressing? What factors move patients through lines of therapy?
- Which is the preferred drug for lower-risk MDS patients who do not respond to ESAs? What is physicians’ preference for the different HMAs? What is the use of lenalidomide (Revlimid) across different lower-risk MDS patient groups?
- How does MDS treatment vary for patients demonstrating different prognosis scores?
- How has the use of MDS therapy changed over time? What are the reasons for increased or decreased use of various agents for the treatment of MDS?
Current Treatment: Physician Insights provides physician insights on treatment dynamics, prescribing behavior, and drivers of brand use so that marketers can create specific messaging around these treatment dynamics to more effectively increase or defend their market position.
Release date: May 2020
Geographies: United States
Primary Research: Survey of 97 U.S. hematologists
Key Drugs Covered: ESAs, lenalidomide, azacitidine, decitabine
Key insights provided
- Factors influencing disease management and treatment decisions
- Drivers and constraints of treatment selection
- Physician-reported treatment practices and brand-level patient shares
- Rationale for changes in treatment approach
- Physician insight on persistency and compliance
- Physician-reported recent/anticipated changes in brand usage or treatment approach
- Myelodysplastic Syndromes - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis (US)
- Current Treatment Physician Insights Myelodysplastic Syndromes US May 2020
Author(s): Rachit Singhal, M.Pharm
Rachit Singhal is an analyst in the Infectious, Niche, & Rare Diseases (INRD) team at Decision Resources. In this role he works on GVHD and hematologic malignancy reports. He has an experience of more than 4 years in multi facets of healthcare analytics such as digital analytics as well as IQVIA’s proprietary MIDAS data-based analytics. He also has experience in stakeholder management, client liaising and product management.