Hypertriglyceridemia refers to abnormalities in the concentration of triglycerides in the circulation and is a key modifiable risk factor for cardiovascular (CV) disease and, with very high levels, acute pancreatitis. Statins and fibrates are often first-line treatments owing to the CV benefits of the former and the low cost of the latter. The more-expensive prescription omega-3 fatty acid products have been used less frequently than statins and fibrates. However, extremely encouraging CV outcomes data from the REDUCE-IT study of Amarin’s omega-3 fatty acid product, Vascepa, are anticipated to change the treatment dynamics for hypertriglyceridemia. Questions remain over how unique Vascepa's benefits are to the drug market or applicable to the broader omega-3 class. With more data emerging and novel omega-3 products (e.g., AstraZeneca’s Epanova and Acasti Pharma’s CaPre) nearing the dyslipidemia drug market, the current treatment paradigm for hypertriglyceridemia is set to evolve further.
- How do physicians currently treat moderate (triglycerides 150-499 mg/dL) and severe (triglycerides ≥ 500 mg/dL) hypertriglyceridemia?
- What key factors influence the use of specific therapies, and how do drug preferences change at each line of therapy?
- How have lipid experts’ opinions of Vascepa and other prescription omega-3 products changed following the positive REDUCE-IT data?
- What are the major constraints on prescribing for hypertriglyceridemia? How is the use of key brands expected to change in the future?
GEOGRAPHIES: United States
PRIMARY RESEARCH: Survey of 100 U.S. lipid experts
KEY DRUGS COVERED: Vascepa (icosapent ethyl), prescription omega-3 compounds (Lovaza, generics), statins, fibrates.
KEY INSIGHTS PROVIDED: Factors influencing disease management and treatment decisions; Drivers and constraints of treatment selection; Physician-reported treatment practices and brand-level patient shares; Rationale for changes in treatment approach; Physician insight on persistency and compliance; Physician-reported recent / anticipated changes in brand usage or treatment approach.
Current Treatment: Physician Insights provides physician insights on treatment dynamics, prescribing behavior, and drivers of brand use so that marketers can create specific messaging around these treatment dynamics to more effectively increase or defend their market position.
- Dyslipidemia - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Physician Insights (US) : Hypertriglyceridemia
- Current Treatment Physician Insights - Hypertriglyceridemia - US - April 2020
Author(s): Rohit Bansal, MS (Pharm.)
Rohit joined Decision Resources Group (DRG)’s Cardiovascular, Metabolic, Renal, and Hematologic Disorders team in April 2019. His current focus includes non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), glomerulonephritis, and renal anemia. Prior to joining DRG, Rohit worked as analyst helping pharmaceutical clients address their business questions across various therapeutic areas.
Rohit’s postgraduate research centred on molecular dynamics. His work included computer-aided drug design software that involved studying the effect of pharmaceutical excipients on the reabsorption of drug molecules from cancer cells leading to drug resistance.