The axial spondyloarthritis (AxSpA) market dynamics are constantly shifting. The definition of the disease, once limited to ankylosing spondylitis (AS), has expanded beyond those with spinal abnormalities detectable by radiography and into the population of nonradiographic (nr-AxSpA) patients. TNF-alpha inhibitors are the well-established biologics in AxSpA patients who do not respond to conventional therapies. The approval of the IL-17 inhibitor Cosentyx in the EU in 2015 marked the first non-TNF biologic for AS and the first drug with a new mechanism of action in over a decade. The launch of biosimilar TNF-alpha inhibitors, especially biosimilar etanercept in 2016 and biosimilar adalimumab in 2018, has and will continue to impact the market.
- What is the brand-level patient share of key biologics (Humira, Enbrel, Cimzia, Simponi, Remicade, Cosentyx) in AS and nr-AxSpA? How are different biologics positioned in surveyed physicians’ treatment algorithms?
- What are the common treatment scenarios before initiating the different biologics? What are the recent/anticipated changes in the prescribing of biologics?
- What are the key drivers and constraints for physicians to prescribe biologics to their AS and nr-AxSpA patients? What factors drive therapy discontinuation and switching?
Geographies: France, Germany, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom.
Primary Research: Survey of 251 rheumatologists in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom.
Key Drugs Covered: Humira / biosimilar, Enbrel / biosimilar, Cimzia, Simponi, Remicade / biosimilar, Cosentyx.
Key insights provided: Factors influencing disease management and treatment decisions, drivers and constraints of treatment selection, physician-reported treatment practices and brand-level patient shares, rationale for changes in treatment approach, physician insight on persistency and compliance, and physician-reported recent / anticipated changes in brand usage or treatment approach.
Current Treatment: Physician Insights provides physician insights on treatment dynamics, prescribing behavior, and drivers of brand use so that marketers can create specific messaging around these treatment dynamics to more effectively increase or defend their market position.
- Axial Spondyloarthritis - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis : Current Treatment: Physician Insights (EU5)
- Current Treatment: Physician Insights AxSpA EU5 October 2019
Author(s): Qinghui Yu, PhD
Qinghui Yu is a business insights analyst at Decision Resources Group. She has authored market research reports analyzing market trends in autoimmune diseases.
Prior to joining Decision Resources Group, Dr. Yu worked as a senior analyst for a life science consulting firm, where she worked on a range of projects providing strategic growth advice to clients in life science industries. Qinghui Yu holds a Ph.D. in Neuroscience from Columbia University.