The asthma market in the EU5 is highly competitive. Many approved agents are available, including maintenance therapies—LABA/ICS FDCs (e.g., GSK’s Seretide and Relvar, AstraZeneca’s Symbicort, branded generics and generics), ICSs (e.g., AstraZeneca’s Pulmicort, Teva’s Qvar), leukotriene inhibitors, biologics (e.g., Novartis’s Xolair, GSK’s Nucala, AstraZeneca’s Fasenra), and a LAMA (Boehringer Ingelheim’s Spiriva, generics)—and rescue therapies, such as SABAs (e.g., GSK’s Ventolin, Teva’s ProAir). Understanding patient pathways and drivers of treatment decisions for key players in asthma can help optimize these agents’ uptake and provide valuable insights for developers of novel brands entering the market.
· What patient share do key drug classes and individual therapies garner in intermittent, mild, moderate, and/or severe asthma?
· Which main factors influence treatment practices in asthma? What is the sequencing of treatment for asthma? What do physicians report as recent and anticipated changes in their treatment practices?
· What are the main reasons why certain eligible patients do not receive asthma biologics? What features drive the choice of a biologic in asthmatics?
· Which features drive the choice of a LABA/ICS FDC agent? What are the main obstacles to prescribing individual branded and generic LABA/ICS FDCs?
· What are the compliance and persistency rates for key products on the market?
Current Treatment: Physician Insights provides physician insights on treatment dynamics, prescribing behavior, and drivers of brand use so that marketers can create specific messaging around these treatment dynamics to more effectively increase or defend their market position.
- Asthma - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis (EU5)
- Current Treatment: Physician Insights - Asthma EU5 -October 2020
Author(s): Shubhendu Ghosh, Ph.D.
Shubhendu Ghosh, Ph.D., is a senior business insights analyst on the Immune and Inflammatory Disorders team at Clarivate. His focus is the asthma therapy market. Previously, Dr. Ghosh was an associate editor at Nature Structural & Molecular Biology and a copy editor at Nature Medicine. He was also a scientific and developmental editor at Nature Research Editing Service. He holds a Ph.D. in biomedical sciences from the University of Massachusetts Medical School, a B.Sc. in microbiology from Delhi University, and an M.Sc. in biotechnology from Madurai Kamaraj University.