SLE is an autoimmune disease that can manifest in many different organs, including the kidneys. Renal inflammation associated with SLE, also known as lupus nephritis, is among the most serious manifestations of the disease. Presently, no therapies are specifically approved for lupus nephritis. Current treatment involves drugs such as antimalarials (e.g., hydroxychloroquine), immunosuppressants (e.g., mycophenolate mofetil), biologics (e.g., Genentech/Biogen’s Rituxan), and corticosteroids. In this content, we offer valuable insights into the disease’s treatment algorithm, physician prescribing behavior, and current therapies’ patient share. A better understanding of lupus nephritis management will help pharmaceutical companies make informed decisions in this space.
- What patient share do key drug classes and individual therapies garner in lupus nephritis?
- Which main factors influence treatment practices in lupus nephritis? What is the sequencing of treatment for lupus nephritis? What do physicians report as recent and anticipated changes in their treatment practices?
- Which features drive the choice of a therapy for lupus nephritis? What are the key barriers in prescribing lupus nephritis therapies?
- What are the compliance and persistency rates for key lupus nephritis therapies?
Current Treatment: Physician Insights provides physician insights on treatment dynamics, prescribing behavior, and drivers of brand use so that clients can create specific messaging around these treatment dynamics in order to more effectively increase or defend their market position.
Survey of 50 rheumatologists and 50 nephrologists in the United States.
KEY DRUGS COVERED
Mycophenolate mofetil/sodium, cyclophosphamide, azathioprine, tacrolimus, hydroxychloroquine, cyclosporine, Rituxan (rituximab), Benlysta (belimumab)
KEY INSIGHTS PROVIDED
- Factors influencing disease.
- Management and treatment decisions.
- Drivers of and constraints on treatment selection.
- Physician-reported treatment.
- Brand-level patient shares.
- Rationale for changes in treatment approach.
- Physician insight into persistency and compliance.
- Physician-reported recent/anticipated changes in brand use or treatment approach.
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Current Treatment: Physician Insights (US) Lupus Nephritis
- Current Treatment: Physician Insights Lupus Nephritis US
Author(s): Mohit Nasa, MBA
Mohit Nasa is a Lead Insights analyst on the Immune and Inflammatory team at Decision Resources Group and has authored content for indications like asthma and rheumatoid arthritis.
He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy and has earned his MBA in marketing and CRM from Amity Business School. Prior to joining DRG, Mohit worked as a Senior Business analyst at Novartis where he was responsible for end to end market assessment, reporting analytics and related projects for Novartis’s asthma brand Xolair. Mohit has also worked as Brand Manager at Ozone pharma and an Account Manager for IMS Health.