The treatment journey for multiple sclerosis (MS) patients in Europe is complicated and individualized, driven by the availability of a broad array of disease-modifying therapies (DMTs)—injectables, infusions, orals, and newcomers Ocrevus and Mavenclad—with more on the horizon. Current Treatment: Multiple Sclerosis (EU5) assesses in detail the current and near-term anticipated market dynamics and competitive landscape through comprehensive primary research with neurologists across the EU5, assessing DMT prescribing in key subpopulations, drivers of treatment selection, physicians’ insights on line of therapy/treatment sequencing, barriers to uptake, and other important dimensions.
- What is the uptake of established and newly launched DMTs within MS patient populations and across the five major European markets? To which patients are DMTs most often prescribed?
- How robust is the uptake of Roche’s Ocrevus in primary-progressive MS?
- What does neurologists’ uptake of Merck KGaA’s Mavenclad signal for its potential launch in the United States?
- What underlying drivers and constraints influence neurologists’ prescribing of key DMTs across the EU5? In the face of ever constraining market access barriers, how has uptake of generic glatiramer acetate evolved to date?
Current Treatment: Physician Insights provides physician insights on treatment dynamics, prescribing behavior, and drivers of brand use so you can create specific messaging around these treatment dynamics in order to more effectively increase or defend your market position.
Markets covered: France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom.
Primary research: Survey of 50 neurologists in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom.
Key companies: Sanofi Genzyme, Roche, Merck, Novartis, Biogen.
Key drugs: ABCRE therapies, Aubagio, Gilenya, Lemtrada, Mavenclad, Ocrevus, Plegridy, Tecfidera, Tysabri.
Key insights provided:
- Factors influencing disease management and treatment decisions.
- Drivers and constraints of treatment selection.
- Physician-reported treatment practices and brand-level patient shares.
- Rationale for changes in treatment approach.
- Physician insight on persistency and compliance.
- Physician-reported recent/anticipated changes in brand usage or treatment approach.
- Multiple Sclerosis - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis (EU5) - 2018
- Current Treatment: Physician Insights - Multiple Sclerosis - EU5
Author(s): Sarah Soucy
Sarah Soucy, M.S., is a Business Insights Analyst with the central nervous system/ophthalmology disorders group at Decision Resources Group. She has authored primary research and insights for dry and wet age-related macular degeneration and multiple sclerosis.
Prior to joining DRG, Ms. Soucy spent six years on the client side as a scientist at Pfizer in the inflammation and immunology research group with both in vitro and in vivo experience. She earned her B.S. in Animal Science with a Bioscience and Technology option and her M.S. in Nutritional Sciences from the University of New Hampshire, Durham, where she studied disordered metabolism