Neuropathic pain (NP) is a heterogeneous disorder arising from a wide variety of diseases and conditions, and as a result, patient response to drug therapy is often unpredictable. Treatment of NP currently involves the use of drugs from several drug classes, including antidepressants, antiepileptic drugs, local anesthetics, dual-acting opioid analgesics, and opioid analgesics. Treatment plans are also typically individualized and empirically based. This report will explore the U.S. NP treatment landscape with a focus on current medical practice in this population.
- What factors assist U.S. physicians in determining if an NP patient is fit for prescription drug treatment? What are the drivers and constraints influencing physicians’ treatment decisions for NP? How are nonpharmacological approaches used?
- How long does it take for NP patients to progress between lines of therapy? How are patients being treated across different lines of therapy?
- To what extent is polypharmacy prescribed for NP, and what are physicians’ preferred drug combinations?
- How has use of key therapies in NP changed in the past year, and what changes do physicians expect in their prescribing of these drugs in one year?
- How do Lyrica (Pfizer), Lyrica CR (Pfizer), and Qutenza ( Grünenthal / Averitas Pharma ) compete in the generics-heavy NP market? What drivers and constraints will aid or restrict their use?
Current Treatment: Physician Insights provides physician insights on treatment dynamics, prescribing behavior, and drivers of brand use so that marketers can create specific messaging around these treatment dynamics to more effectively increase or defend their market position.
Markets covered: United States
Primary research: Survey of 51 U.S. PCPs and 51 U.S. neurologists fielded in July 2019
Key companies: Grünenthal / Averitas Pharma , Janssen, Assertio Therapeutics, Pfizer, Arbor Pharmaceuticals
Key drugs: Lyrica, Lyrica CR, duloxetine, gabapentin, Nucynta ER, Gralise, Horizant, Qutenza, 5% lidocaine patch
- Neuropathic Pain - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis (US)
Author(s): Audreza Das, P.G. Dip.
Audreza Das is a Senior Analyst in the CNS/Ophthalmology team at Decision Resources Group
She has authored content across indications, including neuropathic pain, age-related macular degeneration, treatment-related depression, painful diabetic neuropathy, and migraine. Ms. Das has previously worked at Novo Nordisk, as a Market Analyst for European markets. Previous experience at a SME, included developing disease competitive landscapes, covering global conferences etc. Ms. Das received her B.E. degree in Biotechnology from Birla Institute of Technology, a deemed university and her P.G. Diploma in Cancer Immunology & Biotechnology from University of Nottingham.