China has the highest incidence of gastric cancer (gastric and gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinoma) in the world, and therapeutic options are limited. Only two targeted agents are approved to treat this indication: Roche’s Herceptin and Jiangsu Hengrui Medicine’s AiTan. Herceptin is the first-line standard of care for HER2-positive patients and AiTan is approved for third-line patients, irrespective of HER2 status. Several novel targeted therapies—including angiogenesis inhibitors (Eli Lilly’s Cyramza and Chi-Med’s Elunate); a claudin inhibitor (Ganymed’s zolbetuximab), and combination regimens of PD-1/PD-L1 inhibitors (Bristol-Myers Squibb’s Opdivo, Merck & Co.’s Keytruda, Innovent Biologics’ Tyvyt, and Suzhou Jiangsu Hengrui Medicine’s camrelizumab);—and biosimilars of Herceptin are in late-stage development. The launch and uptake of these novel therapies will lead to significant growth of the gastric cancer therapy market over the 2018-2028 forecast period. However, the need for additional, effective targeted therapies will remain high, representing a lucrative commercial opportunity for drug developers.
- How large is China’s drug-treatable gastric cancer population, and how will the drug-treatment rate change during the forecast period?
- Which are the most commercially relevant drugs in China’s gastric cancer market and why? What are interviewed experts’ insights on current treatment options? Which clinical needs remain unfulfilled?
- What are the key market access considerations for key therapies in the gastric cancer pipeline? What sales / uptake could they secure in and what are interviewed experts’ opinions of key emerging therapies?
- What are the key drivers and constraints in China’s gastric cancer therapy market, and how will the market evolve over the forecast period?
China In-Depth: Comprehensive market intelligence providing world-class epidemiology, keen insight into the China-specific access and reimbursement environment, current treatment paradigms, in-depth pipeline assessments, and drug forecasts supported by detailed primary and secondary market research.
Qualitative and quantitative insights from five thought-leading medical oncologists in China, supported by survey data collected for this and other DRG research.
Diagnosed prevalence of gastric cancer by HER2 biomarker status and by disease stage. Clinically and market-relevant drug-treatable populations.
Ten-year, annualized, drug-level sales and patient shares of key gastric cancer therapies through 2028, based on primary and secondary market research to formulate bottom-up assumptions.
Phase III/PR: 10 drugs; Phase II: >10 drugs; coverage of select early-phase products.
- Gastroesophageal Cancer - Geographic Focus - China - Gastric Cancer - China In-Depth - China
Author(s): Akash Saini, Ph.D.; Mudasir Khan, M.P.H.
Akash is a Principal Analyst in the China In-Depth team at Decision Resources Group. Since 2016, he has specialized in a range of indications including rare disease indications such as DMD, ALS, ITP, IPF, JIA, and retinitis pigmentosa. He has authored Disease Landscape & Forecast reports, Access & Reimbursement reports, and Treatment Algorithm reports based on primary market research and real-world evidence. Prior to joining DRG, Akash was a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. He has a Ph.D. from the International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, New Delhi.
Mudasir works as an associate epidemiologist within the epidemiology team at Decision Resources Group. He specializes in developing epidemiological forecasts for multiple indications within the DRG syndicated portfolio.
Mudasir holds a masters in public health specializing in epidemiology from TISS, Mumbai.