Atopic dermatitis is a common skin disease that significantly affects quality of life. For many years, atopic dermatitis treatment in China included only conventional topical/systemic agents and no targeted therapies were available. However, the disease market is poised to see significant growth over the 2019-2029 forecast period, fueled by the uptake of recently launched as well as several upcoming targeted therapies in China. Dupilumab, an IL-4/13 inhibitor recently approved by the NMPA for moderate to severe atopic dermatitis, is the most notable of these agents. Nonetheless, despite this growth, a high unmet need for targeted agents will remain in the market. In addition, with the ongoing reforms in the regulatory and access and reimbursement landscape of China, multinational companies are likely to be increasingly incentivized to enter the Chinese atopic dermatitis market.
- How large is China’s drug-treatable atopic dermatitis population, and how will the drug-treatment rate change during the forecast period?
- Which are the most commercially relevant drugs in China’s atopic dermatitis market and why? What are interviewed experts’ insights into current treatment options? Which clinical needs remain unfulfilled?
- What are the key market access considerations for key therapies in the atopic dermatitis pipeline in China? What sales/uptake could they secure in atopic dermatitis?
- What are the key drivers and constraints in the Chinese atopic dermatitis market, and how will the market evolve over the forecast period?
Primary research: Country-specific qualitative and quantitative insights driven by 5 thought-leader interviews and 50 surveys with dermatologists and pediatricians.
Epidemiology: Diagnosed prevalence of atopic dermatitis in urban versus rural China; clinically relevant and market-relevant drug-treatable populations.
Forecast: Ten-year, annualized, drug-level sales and patient shares of key atopic dermatitis therapies through 2029, based on primary and secondary market research to formulate bottom-up assumptions.
Emerging therapies: Phase III/PR: 3 agents; Phase II: 3 agents; coverage of selectearly-phase products.
China In-Depth offers comprehensive market intelligence, including world-class epidemiology, keen insight into the China-specific A&R environment, current treatment paradigms, in-depth pipeline assessments, and drug forecasts supported by detailed primary and secondary research. This solution helps companies gauge commercial outlooks and optimize clinical development, subpopulation targeting, physician messaging, and overall long-term strategy in China.
- Atopic Dermatitis/Atopic Eczema - Geographic Focus - China - Atopic Dermatitis/Atopic Eczema - China In-Depth - China
- China-In-Depth-Atopic Dermatitis
Author(s): Nakul Ashok Gavhane; Misba Farooq
Nakul Gavhane, M.B.A., is an analyst on the China-In-Depth team at DRG, part of Clarivate. He has several years of experience in market research and business analytics in the pharmaceutical industry, with expertise in competitive intelligence, market sizing, primary market research, and epidemiology research. He received his M.B.A. in biotechnology from the Department of Management Sciences at the University of Pune (PUMBA) in Maharashtra and his bachelor’s degree in agri-biotechnology from Mahatma Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth in Maharashtra.
Misba Farooq, M.P.H., is an associate epidemiologist at DRG, part of Clarivate. Prior to joining DRG, she worked as a hospital-based physiotherapist. She received her M.P.H. from the Tata Institute of Social Sciences and has a bachelor’s degree in physiotherapy.