Trigeminal neuralgia (TN) is a rare and painful disorder, usually triggered by innocuous stimuli, resulting in paroxysmal neuropathic facial pain in the regions served by the trigeminal nerve. Carbamazepine (Tegretol, generics) is the only therapy formally approved for TN in the United States, but its use is limited by safety and tolerability concerns. Therefore, TN patients may be managed by a variety of off-label medications along their treatment journey, including oxcarbazepine (Supernus Pharmaceuticals’ Oxtellar XR, generics), gabapentin (Neurontin, generics), opioid analgesics, and even neuromuscular blocking agents (Allergan’s Botox). However, a substantial portion of TN patients are treatment-refractory, and better treatment options for these patients are needed.
- What percentage of TN patients receive drug therapy within one year of diagnosis, and how quickly do they receive it? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within one year of diagnosis?
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed TN patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed TN patients?
- How is carbamazepine integrated into the treatment algorithm given its approved status but safety and tolerability issues?
- What percentage of TN patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Markets covered: United States
Real-world data: Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis.
Key drugs covered: Carbamazepine / carbamazepine XR, oxcarbazepine, gabapentin, Lyrica, opioid analgesics, Botox, other antiepileptic drugs.
Key analysis provided:
- Brand / therapy usage across longitudinal patient sample.
- Newly diagnosed patient analysis.
- Treatment initiation and progression.
- Line of therapy analysis.
- Combination therapy analysis.
- Source of business for recently treated patients.
- Persistency and compliance analysis.
- Product-level patient flowcharts.
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
- Neuropathic Pain - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis In Trigeminal Neuralgia (US)
- Treatment Algorithms CDA Trigeminal Neuralgia August 2019
Author(s): Emma McFadden, PhD
Emma McFadden, Ph.D., is a Director within the Central Nervous System/Ophthalmology disorders group. Her main focus is on ophthalmic indications, such as age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, and diabetic macular edema, although she has authored research across a number of other indications, including multiple sclerosis and epilepsy.
Prior to joining Decision Resources Group, Emma earned a B.A. in neuroscience and a Ph.D. in biochemistry from Trinity College Dublin.