Postherpetic Neuralgia (PHN) is an inflammatory neuropathic pain condition characterized by pain persisting for more than 30 days after the onset of the herpes zoster rash caused by a byproduct of varicella zoster virus reactivation. Symptoms include dysethesia, spontaneous burning pain; shooting, tic-like pain. PHN treatment guidelines recommend antiepileptic drugs (namely, Lyrica and gabapentin), followed by tricyclic antidepressants (e.g., amitriptyline), and topical lidocaine patches (e.g., the 5% lidocaine patch). Given the substantial percentage of patients with inadequate pain relief, together it is important to understand use of current therapies in newly diagnosed and recently treated PHN patients thought the use of national patient-level claims data.
- What patient share do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed PHN patients?
- What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and new diagnosed PHN patients?
- How have Lyrica, gabapentin, the 5% lidocaine patch, and Qutenza been integrated into the treatment algorithm?
- What proportion of PHN patients receive drug therapy within a year of diagnosis, and how quickly?
- What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within a year of diagnosis?
- What percentage of PHN patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy?
- What are the most widely used combination therapies? · What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients with PHN?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis: Provides detailed analysis of brand usage across different lines of therapy using real-world data patient-level claims data so you can accurately assess your source of business and quantify areas of opportunity for increasing your brand share.
- Neuropathic Pain - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis: Postherpetic Neuralgia (US)
- Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis in PHN [October 2017]
Author(s): Audreza Das, P.G. Dip.
Audreza Das is a Senior Analyst in the CNS/Ophthalmology team at Decision Resources Group
She has authored content across indications, including neuropathic pain, age-related macular degeneration, treatment-related depression, painful diabetic neuropathy, and migraine. Ms. Das has previously worked at Novo Nordisk, as a Market Analyst for European markets. Previous experience at a SME, included developing disease competitive landscapes, covering global conferences etc. Ms. Das received her B.E. degree in Biotechnology from Birla Institute of Technology, a deemed university and her P.G. Diploma in Cancer Immunology & Biotechnology from University of Nottingham.