Drug treatment of glaucoma focuses on reducing/controlling intraocular pressure and preserving visual function. Given the availability of multiple drug classes—i.e., prostaglandin analogues, beta blockers, alpha agonists, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, fixed-dose combinations, and parasympathomimetics—and several agents in each class, factors such as efficacy, safety/tolerability, frequency of dosing, and cost often determine the treatment approach. Even with multiple generic drugs available, branded therapies such as Allergan’s Lumigan, Combigan, and Alphagan P and Novartis’s Travatan Z still play an important role in glaucoma treatment. Given the continued use of branded therapies, as well as the entrance of new agents to the market, it is essential to understand physicians’ actual prescribing behavior in the treatment of glaucoma.
- What proportion of glaucoma patients receive drug therapy within one year of diagnosis and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within one year of diagnosis?
- What patient share do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed glaucoma patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among newly diagnosed glaucoma patients?
- What key drug classes and brands compete for share among recently treated patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing for these patients?
- What percentage of glaucoma patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most widely used combination therapies?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients with glaucoma?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed analysis of brand use across different lines of therapy using real-world data patient-level claims data so that clients can accurately assess their source of business and quantify areas of opportunity for increasing their brand share.
Markets covered: United States
Real-world data: Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis
Key companies: Allergan, Novartis, Pfizer, Valeant, Akorn, Aerie Pharmaceuticals
Key drugs: Lumigan, Travatan Z, Zioptan, Xalatan, Vyzulta, Rhopressa, Combigan, Cosopt PF, Simbrinza, Alphagan P, Azopt, Trusopt, Istalol, Betimol, Betoptic S, Timoptic in Ocudose, Timoptic-XE, generics
Key analysis provided:
- Brand use across longitudinal patient sample.
- Newly diagnosed patient analysis.
- Treatment initiation and progression.
- Line of therapy analysis.
- Combination therapy analysis.
- Source of business for recently treated patients.
- Persistency and compliance analysis.
- Product-level patient flowcharts.