Diabetic nephropathy, also referred to as diabetic kidney disease, is a common complication of diabetes. The diabetic nephropathy drug market comprises a wide variety of antidiabetic and antihypertensive drugs intended to halt the progression of kidney damage associated with diabetes. In June 2019, detailed results of the CREDENCE trial of Johnson & Johnson’s Invokana (canagliflozin) were published. By demonstrating a significant reduction in the relative risk of a renal-specific composite endpoint, Invokana became the first antidiabetic drug to demonstrate a renoprotective effect in a dedicated renal outcomes trial. Furthermore, the door has opened for sodium glucose cotransporter-2 (SGLT-2) inhibitors to be used at lower estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) limits, potentially shifting treatment patterns in the diabetic nephropathy market.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed diabetic nephropathy patients?
- How have Invokana and other SGLT-2 inhibitors been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what are their sources of business?
- What percentage of diabetic nephropathy patients receive drug therapy within 365 days of diagnosis, and how quickly do they receive it? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within 365 days of diagnosis?
- What percentage of diabetic nephropathy patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
GEOGRAPHY: United States
REAL-WORLD DATA: Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis
KEY DRUGS COVERED: Invokana, Jardiance, Farxiga
KEY ANALYSIS PROVIDED: Brand/therapy usage across longitudinal patient sample; newly diagnosed patient analysis; treatment initiation and progression; line of therapy analysis; combination therapy analysis; source of business for recently treated patients; persistency and compliance analysis; product-level patient flowcharts.
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.