Current treatment of type 1 diabetes (T1D) consists only of exogenous insulins and Symlin, with Lantus as the patient-share leader in the United States. Intensive insulin regimens have been shown to delay the progression of complications associated with untreated or poorly treated T1D. However, differences exist in choice of branded insulin, choice of regimen, and order in which brands and/or regimens are attempted. In addition, the launch of biosimilar insulins is having a profound effect on the T1D therapy market, and we are witnessing mixed physician attitudes toward this new treatment option.
- What patient shares do Lantus, NovoLog, and Levemir garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes patients?
- What percentage of type 1 diabetes patients receive insulin within one year of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within one year of diagnosis?
- What percentage of type 1 diabetes patients are treated with monotherapy vs. combination therapy insulin? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated type 1 diabetes patients?
Geographies: United States
Real World Data: Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis
Key Drugs Covered: Lantus, Levemir, Toujeo, Apidra, NovoLog, Fiasp, Humalog, Tresiba, Admelog, Basaglar
Key analysis provided:
- Brand/therapy usage across longitudinal patient sample
- Newly diagnosed patient analysis
- Treatment initiation and progression
- Line of therapy analysis
- Combination therapy analysis
- Source of business for recently treated patients
- Persistency and compliance analysis
- Product-level patient flowcharts
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data, so you can accurately assess your source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for your marketed or emerging brand.
- Type 1 Diabetes - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithms, Claims Data Analysis (US)
- Treatment Algorithms Claims Data Analysis Type 1 Diabetes US February 2019
Author(s): Kerri Brown, M Pharm
Kerri Brown, M.Pharm., is an analyst with Decision Resources Group, focused on finding stories in data and developing products to inform strategic decisions in the hemophilia and diabetes spaces. Kerri holds a master of pharmacy degree from King’s College London with 1st class honors. Prior to joining DRG, she was a national clinical educator at a UK diabetes start-up, and has extensive experience of diabetes medical devices. Kerri has worked at AstraZeneca, and as a pharmacist in a national psychiatric clinical trial center. In addition to her work at DRG, Kerri is a practicing pharmacist with extensive clinical experience of UK physician prescribing in diabetes.