Hypertriglyceridemia is characterized by elevated triglyceride (TG) levels. In addition to lifestyle changes, current treatment focuses on improving patients’ TG levels with the aim to reduce the associated CV risk. Fibrates, statins, and omega-3 fatty acids are predominantly prescribed to manage hypertriglyceridemia patients. Using a longitudinal claims data analysis, we demonstrate how hypertriglyceridemia is being treated in the United States and provide insight into what is driving current prescribing practices for newly diagnosed and recently treated patients.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed hypertriglyceridemia patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed hypertriglyceridemia patients?
- How has Vascepa been integrated into the hypertriglyceridemia treatment algorithm compared with the available generic omega-3 fatty acids?
- What percentage of hypertriglyceridemia patients receive drug therapy within six months of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within one year of diagnosis?
- What percentage of hypertriglyceridemia patients are treated with monotherapy vs. combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated hypertriglyceridemia patients?
Geographies: United States
Real World Data: Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis
Key Drugs Covered: Fibrates, omega-3-acid ethyl esters (Lovaza), Vascepa, statins, niacin derivatives
Key Analysis Provided
- Brand/therapy usage across longitudinal patient sample
- Newly diagnosed patient analysis
- Treatment initiation and progression
- Line of therapy analysis
- Combination therapy analysis
- Source of business for recently treated patients
- Persistency and compliance analysis
- Product-level patient flowcharts
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data, so you can accurately assess your source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for your marketed or emerging brand.
- Dyslipidemia - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis (US) - Treatment Algorithms - Claims Data Analysis: Hypertriglyceridemia
- Treatment Algorithm Hypertriglyceridemia US June 2019
Author(s): Pallavi Malik, M.Sc.
Pallavi Malik is a business insights analyst in the Cardiovascular, Metabolic and Renal disorders team at Decision Resources Group.
She obtained an M.Sc. degree with specializations in Biotechnology, and a Bachelor's degree in Science from the Panjab University, Chandigarh, India. Prior to joining DRG, she has worked as a Senior Business Analyst at the research firm Evalueserve. Her role involved in-depth scientific secondary research, and competitive intelligence across multiple domains (such as oncology, ophthalmology and CVD) including pipeline analysis, clinical trials assessment, disease landscaping, product and company profiling, competitor benchmarking, and opportunity assessment.