Treatment of psoriatic arthritis (PsA) typically begins with conventional disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs), such as methotrexate, and progresses to more-potent biologics or targeted oral therapies as needed. The U.S. market for conventional DMARD-refractory patients is increasingly crowded with multiple efficacious therapies, including six tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α) inhibitors, the interleukin (IL)-17 inhibitor Cosentyx (Novartis), the IL-12/23 inhibitor Stelara (Janssen), and the first-approved oral targeted PsA therapy, Otezla (Amgen). In addition, the FDA approvals of Xeljanz (Pfizer), an additional oral, first-in-class Janus kinase (JAK) inhibitor, and Taltz (Eli Lilly), a second-in-class IL-17 inhibitor, have expanded physicians’ treatment armamentarium for PsA and further increased the competition.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed PsA patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed PsA patients?
- How have Xeljanz and Taltz been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what are their sources of business?
- What percentage of PsA patients receive drug therapy within two years of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within two years of diagnosis?
- What percentage of PsA patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
The Treatment Algorithms dashboard supplements our claims data analysis report and retains the full set of analyses included in the PowerPoint-based report. The interactive dashboard allows for easier navigation of data visualizations and provides more detailed analyses examining the flow of treatment regimens in newly diagnosed and recently treated patients.
- Psoriatic Arthritis - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithms - Claims Data Analysis (US) Dashboard
Author(s): Michael Pereira, Ph.D.
Mike Pereira, Ph.D., is an analyst on the immune and inflammatory disorders team at Decision Resources Group. He is primarily focused on current treatment paradigms for systemic lupus erythematosus, ulcerative colitis, and psoriatic arthritis.
He holds a doctorate in Microbiology from Tufts University, where he studied the pathogenesis of Borrelia burgdorferi, the causative agent of Lyme disease. Specifically, his research focused on a surface molecule that protects the bacterium from antibody-mediated complement killing. During his M.S. in Microbiology at the University of Rhode Island, Dr. Pereira researched the virulence of a bacterium that infects commercially grown trout.