Giant cell arteritis (GCA) is an autoimmune disease marked by inflammation of blood vessels in the head and neck, leading to persistent headaches, flu-like symptoms, and risk of blindness. The most common treatment for GCA is a high-dose corticosteroid, typically started immediately after diagnosis to reduce the risk of blindness and tapered off over the next 12-24 months. In 2017, the first targeted treatment for GCA, Roche’s Actemra, was approved. Other key autoimmune drugs, including Novartis’s Cosentyx, AbbVie’s Rinvoq, and Regeneron / Sanofi’s Kevzara, are progressing to late-phase trials for GCA, suggesting increasing interest in this potentially lucrative and untapped market. As such, understanding how Actemra is currently used in GCA patients will be crucial for incoming competition.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed GCA patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed GCA patients?
- How has Actemra been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what is its source of business?
- What percentage of GCA patients receive drug therapy within one year of diagnosis, and how quickly do they receive it? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within one year of diagnosis?
- What percentage of GCA patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
Release date: August 2020
Geography: United States
Real-world data: Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis
Key drugs covered: Actemra, corticosteroids, DMARDs, immunosuppressants
Key analysis provided: Brand / therapy usage across longitudinal patient sample, newly diagnosed patient analysis, treatment initiation and progression, line of therapy analysis, combination therapy analysis, source of business for recently treated patients, persistency and compliance analysis, and product-level patient flowcharts.
- Giant Cell Arteritis - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis - Treatment Algorithms - Claims Data Analysis(US)
Author(s): Prerna Sharma
Prerna Sharma is a senior analyst on the Immune and Inflammatory Disorders team at Decision Resources Group. She performs in-depth research to understand the rheumatology therapy area, specializing in rheumatoid arthritis, and creates disease landscape and forecast syndicated reports. Prior to joining DRG, she was a senior analyst at Evalueserve, where she fulfilled the research and market requirements of global pharmaceutical companies in creating syndicated and nonsyndicated reports detailing disease landscapes. Ms. Sharma has expertise in creating market assessments, competitive intelligence reports, and in-depth company profiles for the pharmaceutical and consumer healthcare sectors. She graduated from Amity University in India with a bachelor’s degree in biotechnology.