Bronchiectasis is a chronic autoimmune respiratory disorder characterized by recurrent respiratory tract infections including cough and sputum production, resulting in frequent exacerbations and poor QOL. Although no treatments are currently approved, the cornerstone of the bronchiectasis drug market is antibiotics, which are typically prescribed as first-line pharmacological therapy to address underlying infections. These agents are available in multiple formulations including oral, inhaled, and IV. Separately, anti-inflammatory therapies such as inhaled and oral corticosteroids, bronchodilators (e.g., AstraZeneca’s Symbicort), and mucolytic agents (e.g., Genentech’s Pulmozyme) are used for symptomatic relief. The IL-13 and IL-5 biologics (e.g., Sanofi / Regeneron’s Dupixent, GSK’s Nucala) may also be considered in very rare, severe cases.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed bronchiectasis patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed patients?
- How have the bronchodilators and anti-inflammatory therapies been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what are their sources of business?
- What percentage of bronchiectasis patients receive drug therapy within one year of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within one year of diagnosis?
- What percentage of bronchiectasis patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
- Bronchiectasis - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis - Treatment Algorithms - Claims Data Analysis (US)
- Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis Bronchiectasis US March 2020
Author(s): Maria Genco, Ph.D
Maria Genco, Ph.D., is an analyst on the Immune and Inflammatory Disorders group at Decision Resources Group, primarily focusing on rheumatoid arthritis and axial spondyloarthritis. She has authored market research reports on the RA disease landscape and commercial outlook of drugs, unmet needs in RA, and market access and reimbursement for RA targeted therapies. Prior to joining Decision Resources, Dr. Genco received her M.S. and Ph.D. in neuroscience from Brandeis University and a B.A. in neuroscience from Wellesley College.