Children with Crohn’s disease (CD) have a more-complicated disease course compared with adult patients. However, similar to adult CD, the primary goal of the treatment of pediatric CD is to induce and maintain remission as quickly as possible. Historically, treatment of pediatric CD would begin with safe, albeit often less-efficacious, conventional agents (e.g., 5-ASAs) and then progress to more-potent drugs, such as biologics and/or immunosuppressants. However, the pediatric CD treatment algorithm continues to evolve, and physicians increasingly initiate treatment with TNF-alpha inhibitors (e.g., Janssen/Merck’s Remicade, AbbVie/Eisai’s Humira), especially in patients with more-severe disease symptoms. The non-TNF biologics, including Takeda’s Entyvio and Janssen’s Stelara, may also be prescribed, particularly after anti-TNF failure.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed pediatric CD patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed pediatric CD patients?
- How have Stelara and Entyvio been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what are their sources of business?
- What percentage of pediatric CD patients receive drug therapy within 365 days of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within 365 days of diagnosis?
- What percentage of pediatric CD patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis
Key Drugs Covered
Humira, Remicade / biosimilar infliximab, Entyvio, Stelara, Cimzia, aminosalicylates, immunosuppressants
Key Analysis Provided
- Brand/therapy usage across longitudinal patient sample.
- Newly diagnosed patient analysis.
- Treatment initiation and progression.
- Line of therapy analysis.
- Combination therapy analysis.
- Source of business for recently treated patients.
- Persistency and compliance analysis.
- Product-level patient flowcharts.
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
- Crohn's Disease - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis (US) - Pediatric
Author(s): Ritesh Gupta, PhD
Ritesh Gupta is a Lead Analyst on the immune and inflammatory disorders team at Decision Resources Group, whose work focuses primarily on Psoriatic Arthritis, Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s Disease.
He holds a Ph.D. degree in Cell Biology from Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine, Berlin, where he worked on development of novel inhibitors for HGF/MET signaling pathways. Prior to joining DRG, Ritesh has worked as an assistant manager with BioXcel corporation and provided insights on various consulting projects. He was also associated with GVK Biosciences and worked on drug repurposing projects.