Ulcerative colitis (UC) is a chronic intermittent relapsing disorder of the large intestine and rectum, characterized by diarrhea, abdominal pain, rectal bleeding, fever, and weight loss. The primary goal of UC treatment is to induce and maintain remission. Treatment typically begins with conventional agents (e.g., 5-ASAs), which are often effective for those patients with more mild to moderate disease, but then progresses to more-potent drugs, such as immunosuppressants and/or biologics, as needed. Among the biologics, TNF-alpha inhibitors (Janssen’s Remicade and AbbVie’s Humira) and a CAM inhibitor (Takeda’s Entyvio) are the mainstays of treatment. However, therapies such as Pfizer’s Xeljanz / Xeljanz XR, the first approved oral Jak inhibitor, and Janssen’s Stelara are increasing the competition among later-line targeted therapies.
· What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed adult UC patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed adult UC patients?
· How have Xeljanz / Xeljanz XR and Stelara been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what are their sources of business?
· What percentage of adult UC patients receive drug therapy within 365 days of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within 365 days of diagnosis?
· What percentage of adult UC patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
· What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
- Ulcerative Colitis - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithms - Claims Data Analysis (US) 2020
- Treatment Algorithms Claims Data Analysis PPT | Ulcerative Colitis (Adult) | US | September 2020
Author(s): Michael Pereira, Ph.D.
Mike Pereira, Ph.D., is an analyst on the immune and inflammatory disorders team at Decision Resources Group. He is primarily focused on current treatment paradigms for systemic lupus erythematosus, ulcerative colitis, and psoriatic arthritis.
He holds a doctorate in Microbiology from Tufts University, where he studied the pathogenesis of Borrelia burgdorferi, the causative agent of Lyme disease. Specifically, his research focused on a surface molecule that protects the bacterium from antibody-mediated complement killing. During his M.S. in Microbiology at the University of Rhode Island, Dr. Pereira researched the virulence of a bacterium that infects commercially grown trout.