Hydroxychloroquine, corticosteroids, and conventional immunosuppressants are the mainstay of treatment for systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), a chronic, complex autoimmune disease affecting multiple organ systems. Unfortunately, many patients with SLE fail to respond to the aforementioned therapies and/or experience significant adverse events. Clinicians use other agents to treat these patients, such as biologics Benlysta (GSK) and Rituxan (Roche/Biogen; off-label). This content will provide manufacturers of current treatments, as well as those developing novel SLE agents, with insights regarding the current use of SLE drugs and will add a perspective on market trends in the SLE space.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed SLE patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed SLE patients?
- How has Benlysta been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what is its source of business?
- What percentage of SLE patients receive drug therapy within one year of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within one year of diagnosis?
- What percentage of SLE patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.