Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is characterized by chronic and progressive joint inflammation that commonly leads to permanent, debilitating tissue damage and cartilage and bone destruction. Treatment is typically initiated with cost-effective conventional DMARDs, such as methotrexate. The U.S. market for conventional DMARD-refractory RA patients is crowded with efficacious biologics, including blockbuster TNF-alpha inhibitors such as Amgen’s Enbrel, AbbVie’s Humira, and Janssen’s Remicade, as well as non-TNF-alpha inhibitors such as BMS’s Orencia and Genentech’s Rituxan and Actemra. The FDA approval of AbbVie’s JAK inhibitor Rinvoq, adding to Pfizer’s Xeljanz and Eli Lilly’s Olumiant, has increased competition within the JAK inhibitor class, along with expanding physicians’ treatment armamentarium.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed RA patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed RA patients?
- How have non-TNF-alpha inhibitor biologics and JAK inhibitors been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what is their source of business?
- What percentage of RA patients receive drug therapy within three years of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within three years of diagnosis?
- What percentage of RA patients are treated with monotherapy vs. combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
Release date: August 2020
Geography: United States
Real World data: Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis
Key Drugs Covered: Enbrel, Humira, Remicade, biosimilar infliximab, Simponi, Simponi Aria, Cimzia, Orencia, Actemra, Rituxan, Xeljanz, Kevzara, Olumiant, and Rinvoq
Key Analysis provided: Brand / therapy usage across longitudinal patient sample, Newly diagnosed patient analysis, Treatment initiation and progression, Line of therapy analysis, Combination therapy analysis, Source of business for recently treated patients, and Persistency and compliance analysis Product-level patient flowcharts.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis (US)
- Treatment Algorithms Claims Data Analysis Rheumatoid Arthritis US August 2020
Author(s): Prerna sharma
Mohit Nasa, M.B.A., is a principal analyst on the Immune and Inflammatory Disorders team at Clarivate. He has authored content on such indications as systemic lupus erythropoiesis, psoriasis, asthma, and rheumatoid arthritis. Previously, he worked as a senior business analyst at Novartis, where he was responsible for end-to-end market assessment and related projects for Novartis’s asthma brand Xolair. Mr. Nasa holds a bachelor’s degree in pharmacy and an M.B.A. in marketing and CRM from Amity Business School in India.