Crohn’s disease (CD) is a chronic inflammatory disorder of the gastrointestinal tract characterized by diarrhea, abdominal pain, and weight loss. The primary goal of CD treatment is to induce and maintain remission. Treatment of CD typically begins with safe, albeit often less-efficacious, conventional agents (e.g., 5-ASAs) but often progresses to more-potent drugs, such as immunosuppressants and/or biologics. However, this scenario is changing, and more physicians are prescribing biologics as first-line therapy for recently diagnosed CD patients. Among the biologics, TNF-alpha inhibitors (e.g., Janssen/Merck’s Remicade, AbbVie/Eisai’s Humira) have a relatively constant patient share; however, newer biologics (e.g., Takeda’s Entyvio, Janssen’s Stelara), especially Stelara, have witnessed a sharp increase in patient share.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed adult CD patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed adult CD patients?
- How have Entyvio and Stelara been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what are their sources of business?
- What percentage of adult CD patients receive drug therapy within 365 days of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within 365 days of diagnosis?
- What percentage of adult CD patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Real World Data
Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis
Key Drugs Covered
Humira, Remicade, Entyvio, Stelara, Cimzia, aminosalicylates, immunosuppressants
Key Analysis Provided
- Brand/therapy usage across longitudinal patient sample
- Newly diagnosed patient analysis
- Treatment initiation and progression
- Line of therapy analysis
- Combination therapy analysis
- Source of business for recently treated patients
- Persistency and compliance analysis
- Product-level patient flowcharts
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
- Crohn's Disease - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis (US) – Adult
- Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis-Adult Crohn's Disease-US PPT [January 2020]
Author(s): Ritesh Gupta, PhD
Ritesh Gupta is a Lead Analyst on the immune and inflammatory disorders team at Decision Resources Group, whose work focuses primarily on Psoriatic Arthritis, Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s Disease.
He holds a Ph.D. degree in Cell Biology from Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine, Berlin, where he worked on development of novel inhibitors for HGF/MET signaling pathways. Prior to joining DRG, Ritesh has worked as an assistant manager with BioXcel corporation and provided insights on various consulting projects. He was also associated with GVK Biosciences and worked on drug repurposing projects.