Immune thrombocytopenia purpura (ITP) is an autoimmune form of acquired thrombocytopenia that leads to a decrease in platelet production and an increased risk of bleeding. Current therapies for ITP can be broadly divided into immunomodulators and thrombopoietin receptor agonists (TPO-RAs). Systemic glucocorticoids and TPO-RAs are the cornerstones of clinical management; however, biologics such as Roche's Rituxan (rituximab, biosimilars) provide additional options for refractory patients. In 2018, two novel therapies for chronic ITP—Rigel Pharmaceuticals’ Tavalisse, an oral Syk inhibitor, and Dova Pharmaceuticals’ Doptelet (avatrombopag), a second-generation TPO-RA—launched in the United States. With the treatment landscape continuing to evolve, this report offers insights from real-world claims data into prescribing trends in ITP to help new players better understand current treatment practices in ITP that may help define the market niche for their emerging product.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed ITP patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed ITP patients?
- How have systemic steroids and TPO-RAs been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what are their sources of business?
- What percentage of ITP patients receive drug therapy within one year of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within one year of diagnosis?
- What percentage of ITP patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
The Treatment Algorithms dashboard is an interactive supplement to our PowerPoint-based claims data analysis reports and retains the full set of analyses included in the reports (i.e., newly diagnosed patients, recently treated patients, persistency, and compliance). The dashboard allows for easier navigation of data visualizations and provides more detailed analyses examining the flow of treatment regimens in newly diagnosed and recently treated patients. In addition, the dashboard features multiple data refreshes after report publication.
- Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura - Current Treatment - Treatment Algorithms - Claims Data Analysis: Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura - Refreshed Dashboard 2021 (US)
- Treatment Algorithms CDA Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura 2021 Refreshed Dashboard
Author(s): Archita Kukreja
Archita Kukreja, M.B.A., M.S., is a principal analyst on the Infectious, Niche, and Rare Diseases team.
Archita Kukreja holds a Master of Science degree in biotechnology from Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, and has completed her MBA from Amity University, Noida. Previously, Archita was Lead Associate, Healthcare Operations at WNS Global Services. She has also worked as an associate analyst for Aspect Ratio, MSD Global Centre for Analytics and Forecasting.