Atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD) is broadly defined here as coronary artery disease (CAD), including acute coronary syndrome (ACS), a history of myocardial infarction (MI), and stable or unstable angina; cerebrovascular disease, including stroke and transient ischemic attack (TIA); peripheral arterial disease (PAD); and other atherosclerotic diseases. The principal goal of treating ASCVD is to reduce recurrent cardiovascular (CV) events and decrease mortality. Drug treatment is individualized to the diagnosis but generally involves lipid-modifying, neurohormonal blocking, and antithrombotic therapies. Despite the heavy entrenchment of generics, branded options of note include the lipid-modifying agents Repatha, Praluent, and Vascepa and the oral antithrombotics Brilinta and Xarelto. Using a longitudinal claims data analysis, we demonstrate how ASCVD is being pharmacologically managed for newly diagnosed and recently treated patients in the United States.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed ASCVD patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed ASCVD patients?
- How have Praluent and Repatha been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what is their source of business?
- What percentage of ASCVD patients receive drug therapy within 365 days of diagnosis, and how quickly do they receive it? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within 365 days of diagnosis?
- What percentage of ASCVD patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
GEOGRAPHIES: United States
REAL-WORLD DATA: Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis
KEY DRUGS COVERED: Praluent, Repatha, Vascepa, Brilinta, Xarelto, clopidogrel, ezetimibe, ACE inhibitors, ARBs, beta blockers, CCBs, statins, fibrates, omega–3 fatty acids
KEY ANALYSIS PROVIDED: Brand/therapy usage across longitudinal patient sample,newly diagnosed patient analysis,treatment initiation and progression,line of therapy analysis,combination therapy analysis; source of business for recently treated patients,persistency and compliance analysis.
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.