Myasthenia gravis (MG) is a rare neuromuscular disorder characterized by muscle weakness and fatigue. Clinical management of MG has historically focused on symptomatic treatment with the acetylcholinesterase inhibitor pyridostigmine followed by chronic immunosuppressive therapies (e.g., glucocorticoids). However, the MG pipeline is beginning to bring novel therapies with unique MOAs to the market, highlighted by the 2017 FDA approval of eculizumab (Soliris). As the MG current treatment landscape continues to evolve, this report offers insights from real-world claims data into prescribing trends in MG to help new players better understand current treatment practices in MG and help define the market niche for their emerging products.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed MG patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed MG patients?
- How has eculizumab been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what is its source of business? Does rituximab (Biogen’s Rituxan) see off-label use in MG?
- What percentage of MG patients receive drug therapy within one year of diagnosis and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within one year of diagnosis?
- What percentage of MG patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Markets covered: United States.
Real-world data: Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis.
Key companies: Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Roche, Sanofi, Catalyst Pharmaceuticals, GSK
Key drugs covered: pyridostigmine, prednisone, azathioprine, mycophenolate mofetil, tacrolimus, cyclosporine, Rituxan, methotrexate, Soliris, belimumab, intravenous immunoglobulins .
Key analysis provided:
- Brand/therapy usage across a longitudinal patient sample.
- Newly diagnosed patient analysis.
- Treatment initiation and progression.
- Line of therapy analysis.
- Combination therapy analysis.
- Source of business for recently treated patients.
- Persistency and compliance analysis.
- Product-level patient flowchart.
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
- Myasthenia Gravis - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis (US)
- Treatment Algorithms Claims Data Analysis Myasthenia Gravis US June 2020
Author(s): Rachit Singhal, M.Pharm
Rachit Singhal is an analyst in the Infectious, Niche, & Rare Diseases (INRD) team at Decision Resources. In this role he works on GVHD and hematologic malignancy reports. He has an experience of more than 4 years in multi facets of healthcare analytics such as digital analytics as well as IQVIA’s proprietary MIDAS data-based analytics. He also has experience in stakeholder management, client liaising and product management.